timing phaser TSB coming

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Almost ez

Reaction score
This is the only picture that I have of it. Taken the day I bought it. As far as me I’m a self employed middle aged married guy, that lives in East Texas. I’m not a “ look at what I have kinda person “ hence the lack of photos. I’ve got plenty of my fuzz missles “Doberman’s” though.

6DCE9EB3-4947-435B-A2E1-C090F7BD5A8C.jpeg

Almost ez

Reaction score
A cam phaser locking pin issue will not result in a loss of engine power; it is simply a noise that occurs during cold start until the phasers receive full oil pressure, at which point they operate normally. If a phaser has a failure mode unrelated to the locking pin that is severe enough to cause a lack of power, you will have a check engine light with camshaft timing DTCs.

There is no "proper protocol", it's just not common to have someone join a specialty vehicle forum and their first post on the day they join is a complaint regarding a failure that was addressed and resolved in manufacturing in earlier model years. As with any forum there are people create fake profiles to troll and stir up trouble; it always helps to introduce yourself in the new members forum and post some pictures of your truck.

Almost ez

Reaction score
The issue still exists according to the dealer. I was told that “we see at least one or two a week, for phasers and/or phaser related problems”. I purchased my 19 brand new April 2020. I also was told that it’s not yet a recall, but it is a problem that they are supposed to fix. I don’t know the correct term, is it a tsb or something? You seem like you would know though

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The issue still exists according to the dealer. I was told that “we see at least one or two a week, for phasers and/or phaser related problems”. I purchased my 19 brand new April 2020. I also was told that it’s not yet a recall, but it is a problem that they are supposed to fix. I don’t know the correct term, is it a tsb or something? You seem like you would know though

No recall, and not necessary; it's not a safety issue. The TSB is for 2017-2018 models, which includes all 3.5 EcoBoost engines (not just Raptor), but it's certainly not impossible for a camshaft phaser (4 per engine) to occur on any engine due to a faulty component. The fact that the issue occurred under warranty, which 99% do, means that Ford warranty will cover the expense and it will be upgraded with the latest service parts.

Almost ez

Reaction score
No recall, and not necessary; it's not a safety issue. The TSB is for 2017-2018 models, which includes all 3.5 EcoBoost engines (not just Raptor), but it's certainly not impossible for a camshaft phaser (4 per engine) to occur on any engine due to a faulty component. The fact that the issue occurred under warranty, which 99% do, means that Ford warranty will cover the expense and it will be upgraded with the latest service parts.

Almost ez

Reaction score
They are taking care of it 100%. All I was saying was that it’s still an issue, because the service manager told me it was. At least 1 a week is coming in for this repair,as new as 2019 and 2020, to me that is still a problem, not one that has been addressed in the previous year models.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They are taking care of it 100%. All I was saying was that it’s still an issue, because the service manager told me it was. At least 1 a week is coming in for this repair,as new as 2019 and 2020, to me that is still a problem, not one that has been addressed in the previous year models.

Service Managers are not a reliable source of information; most have zero technical background. Ford changed the design of the phaser as well as the part number in production in 07/18. That change was to resolve the locking pin issue that was causing a rattle noise on cold start. If you were experiencing a “surging” concern, that is unrelated to the original issue.

Out of millions of cam phasers produced every year, there is always the possibility of a defective one. The production change dates also vary between model; Expedition and Navigator didn’t receive the updated parts until April of 2019. Claiming that a particular pattern failure mode of a revised part continues to exists based on the anecdotal evidence is not in any way accurate.

Almost ez

Reaction score
Okay I see now that anything I have experienced is a fluke and my truck isn’t having the phasers replaced, due to them failing, because they have never had a problem with them before. Thank you so much for your expertise and guidance.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You may be having your cam phasers replaced. That may or may not be your problem. Service Advisors are generally lying sacks of manure and quite a few Ford techs are not up to speed. That combination can make things murky real fast. Phaser problems are not common on vehicles as new as yours, but they do occur. Weekly? No. They're lying or you're misunderstanding them.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Okay I see now that anything I have experienced is a fluke and my truck isn’t having the phasers replaced, due to them failing, because they have never had a problem with them before. Thank you so much for your expertise and guidance.

Apparently you’re the expert here since you’re claiming that you know for a fact that your truck experienced the same exact failure mode that was corrected in production before your truck was built, regardless of the fact that the locking pin issue is completely unrelated to the surge and power loss concerns you said you experienced.

A part can fail in any number of various modes. It is baseless and misleading to claim that an issue exists based off of a failure unrelated to the original issue.