timing phaser TSB coming

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nmp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heard from my ford technician friend today. he told me they got an SSM which is a pre TSB to replace the phasers only (no chains or guides) and they expect the official TSB by the end of the year.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Strange that it is only for phasers to be replaced when anyone who has to go through this have had their chains and guides replaced also.

heard from my ford technician friend today. he told me they got an SSM which is a pre TSB to replace the phasers only (no chains or guides) and they expect the official TSB by the end of the year.

Last edited:

SVTTrooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Strange that it is only for phasers to be replaced when anyone who has to go through this have had their chains and guides replaced also.

yep! it's a complete waste of time to only do the phasers and likewise if they only do the timing chain. they end up having to go back in a few thousand miles later because of doing a half ass job.

WC114

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wonder if the new ones are actually an improvement, since a 2019 reported having the problem

cwh

Reaction score
I’m getting phasers, chain and chain tensioners replaced. Solenoids if needed. My ford dealer said the TSB calls for all this.

OP
OP
nmp1

nmp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m getting phasers, chain and chain tensioners replaced. Solenoids if needed. My ford dealer said the TSB calls for all this.
was the dealer able to tell you whether or not the replacement phasers are updated and fix the issue or are they just replacing them with the same ones. i have not been able to get a straight answer yet.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I will standby for this :)

My thing is, if they replace the Phasers and 5/10k later downthe road the chains and guides blow up ,I wonder if they will cover that also?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

That is because of dealer speculation; they couldn't identify the root cause of the issue so they made an over-repair.

PLEASE stop the panic and doomsday scenarios now....Ford released a TSB that identifies the issue and provides the specific fix information.

SSM 48168 - 2017-2018 F-150, 2018-2019 Expedition/Navigator - 3.5L EcoBoost - Ticking/Tapping Or Rattle Type Noise On Start Up After A Cold Soak
Some 2017-2018 F-150 vehicles built on or before 10-Jul-2018 and 2018-2019 Expedition/Navigator vehicles built on or before 8-Apr-2019 equipped with a 3.5L EcoBoost engine may exhibit a ticking, tapping, or rattle type noise from the top front cover area of the engine that last 2-5 seconds on initial start-up after a cold soak. This may be due to a worn variable cam timing (VCT) unit. A TSB is expected to be published 4th quarter of 2019. In the interim, replace all 4 VCT units and update the powertrain control module (PCM) calibration. Do not replace timing chains, tensioners, guides or other timing related components unless inspection clearly identifies a concern. Refer to the Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-01. Claim the labor required to replace VCTs using published labor operations and PCM programming using M-time. Monitor OASIS for updates.