Timing of purchasing a Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mph6779

Reaction score
Well I went from a 14 Raptor SE fully loaded to a 2020 802a with 10k in performance blue. I loved my gen 1 it really was bullet proof and remote starting always made smile with that corsa exhaust. Now the gen 2 is just a different animal. It’s nice has a ton of tech I question the reliability, but I could be wrong. Even after intake and corsa extreme exhaust I just feel alittle let down on startup. Maybe it’s just a trade off and I know it’s just the sound but as much as I love my gen 2 I miss my gen 1 some days. I got 46k for a 2014 with 95k and only paid 55 for it in Jan 2015. No idea if 46k was a great deal but it was hard to pass up. Y’all let me know what you think.
As for the gen 3 I’m not interested in it until the R comes out and I have been told that the first few years will be limited release with insane pricing. Way over 100k before dealer markup. TSW here near Austin who work exclusively in raptors said the same as Covert Ford, hard to get and crazy pricing. Also the chip shortage my not level out until the end of 2022. This is all just what I’m hearing from reliable folks but like everything it’s subject to change.

dc1gator

Reaction score
I'll put my money on a Gen2 over a Gen1 for performance anytime. This, based on live observations. If I owned a Gen1 I would stay away from a super charger. A super charged 6.2 still won't hang with a tuned Gen2. Super charged 6.2's (from what I have seen) tip-toe around blown engines. In the end, I think the preference for a Gen1 is the V/8 sound.
Exactly!

bjork

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I went from a 14 Raptor SE fully loaded to a 2020 802a with 10k in performance blue. I loved my gen 1 it really was bullet proof and remote starting always made smile with that corsa exhaust. Now the gen 2 is just a different animal. It’s nice has a ton of tech I question the reliability, but I could be wrong. Even after intake and corsa extreme exhaust I just feel alittle let down on startup. Maybe it’s just a trade off and I know it’s just the sound but as much as I love my gen 2 I miss my gen 1 some days. I got 46k for a 2014 with 95k and only paid 55 for it in Jan 2015. No idea if 46k was a great deal but it was hard to pass up. Y’all let me know what you think.
As for the gen 3 I’m not interested in it until the R comes out and I have been told that the first few years will be limited release with insane pricing. Way over 100k before dealer markup. TSW here near Austin who work exclusively in raptors said the same as Covert Ford, hard to get and crazy pricing. Also the chip shortage my not level out until the end of 2022. This is all just what I’m hearing from reliable folks but like everything it’s subject to change.
I love the sound of my V8, 100% agree with you on the remote start. My neighbors hate me on early morning cold starts, and my friends hate me for showing off every time :Big Laugh:

46k sounds around right to me. Just depends on your location, could be more or less by a few thousand but $9k of depreciation after over 6 years is hard to be upset about. Here in SoCal people are receiving insane payouts for their Gen 2’s, two of my friends got over $12k more than what they paid for their Gen 2’s years ago. Insane to me. Yeah it’s hard to gauge when the chip shortage will level out. Guess only time will tell