Timing of purchasing a Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Richiemitchell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking to get into a Raptor and was pretty set on a 13-14 gen 1 with lower mileage... Up until the last six months watching the prices skyrocket. I was planning on spending around 50k. Less would be better but I realized I can get into a gen 2 at that price.
I am selling my 2013 Platinum while the market is hot in hopes that once the chip shortage gets sorted out pricing may level out a little bit. Do you guys think the Raptor values will drop back down to what they were six months ago in the next six months or will this constant inflation keep raptor prices high?
I'm also a little confused as to how I am finding 17 Raptors for around the same pricing as 13-14 Raptors with less mileage. Are the Gen 1's really holding their value that well because of the 6.2 or am I missing something here? I cannot understand why one would not want a vehicle that is 3 years newer, more capable, with less millage for roughly the same cost?
Maybe you Raptor experts can drop some knowledge on me to explain how this is happening.

Jmilleraz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to my dilemma. I think there’s a few of us in this same situation and frankly, no one bows the answer.
You have to think that once the gen 3s finally hit the streets, gen 2 pricing should come down a bit, but the question of how much is anyone’s guess. A lot of folks truly like the gen 2 better than the gen 3 so that could be a factor.
My best guess is gen 2’s will drop $5k across the board max. We’re also dealing with inflation and every industry is seeing prices skyrocket

DS6

Reaction score
If you’re seeing 17s for the same price as 13-14s make sure you check the carfax. There’s a lot of manufacturer buybacks that are being sold at those lower prices.

OP
OP
Richiemitchell

Richiemitchell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you’re seeing 17s for the same price as 13-14s make sure you check the carfax. There’s a lot of manufacturer buybacks that are being sold at those lower prices.
I will definitely look out for that. Do you know the primary reasons for the manufacturing buybacks happening?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
While I am truly a Gen 1 fan, you shouldn't be paying the same price for a Gen 1 as a Gen 2 , unless the Gen 2 has some serious issues like accidents , etc. I believe the market will come back to normal but that may take more than 6 months as I doubt the Gen 3 will be readily available, but who really knows. With lumber prices so high, I'm just putting some house projects on hold and letting others pay the ridiculous prices.

OP
OP
Richiemitchell

Richiemitchell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to my dilemma. I think there’s a few of us in this same situation and frankly, no one bows the answer.
You have to think that once the gen 3s finally hit the streets, gen 2 pricing should come down a bit, but the question of how much is anyone’s guess. A lot of folks truly like the gen 2 better than the gen 3 so that could be a factor.
My best guess is gen 2’s will drop $5k across the board max. We’re also dealing with inflation and every industry is seeing prices skyrocket
This is spot on to my thinking on the situation. However, if the gen 3 is going to be as difficult to acquire as the new Bronco’s. Markups and reservations will probably make it difficult to acquire for at least the first year of production. Maybe keeping Gen 2’s value consistent for a while. This is all speculative, but I’m hopeful when the R model has released the craze for gen 1 V8’s will normalize somewhat.
Anyways, If someone on here has a gen 2 or low mileage gen 1 they are looking to get rid of in that price range let me know!

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GEN 1s RULE. There more trucky than the 2s. The 2s have alot of tuning mods ya can do but the Gen 1s have a very proven Reliability record. The 6.2L engine is bullet proof and has more than proven itself in Work trucks like Super Dutys. As well as the 6 speed tranny. Good luck with whatever ya purchase. Im kinda bias but there are alot of people sticking with there Gen1s and I've seen quit a few people trading in there Gen 2s and going back to the Gen1s even on this Forum for many different reasons.

Bozz

Royal Smart A$$
Reaction score
GEN 1s RULE. There more trucky than the 2s. The 2s have alot of tuning mods ya can do but the Gen 1s have a very proven Reliability record. The 6.2L engine is bullet proof and has more than proven itself in Work trucks like Super Dutys. As well as the 6 speed tranny. Good luck with whatever ya purchase. Im kinda bias but there are alot of people sticking with there Gen1s and I've seen quit a few people trading in there Gen 2s and going back to the Gen1s even on this Forum for many different reasons.
^^^ This!

Richiemitchell said: a vehicle that is 3 years newer, more capable, with less millage for roughly the same cost?

I respectfully disagree (mostly with the more capable part), but good luck in whichever way you decide to go. Any Raptor is better than no Raptor.

jeanco

2019 scab=gone,24 AMB 801A
Supporting Member
Reaction score
collapse of the market?
in one year when Ford sends a complete F-150 truck down the line every 53 seconds?