Timing Chain Cover - Again!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pastorwug

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once aqain I have had to have the timing chain cover gasket replaced, 18 hours of labor (they told me), $2500 cost if I didn't have a warranty, an entire week of not having the truck, and no promise it wouldn't happen again!

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That’s odd they can’t promise it won’t happen again, it’s not a well known issue. Make sure they have there best tech fix it or take it to a different stealership. Bribe with some beer and Cheeto’s!

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Once aqain I have had to have the timing chain cover gasket replaced, 18 hours of labor (they told me), $2500 cost if I didn't have a warranty, an entire week of not having the truck, and no promise it wouldn't happen again!
That is a workmanship issue. There is no timing cover gasket, it’s RTV. It’s also not 18 hours of labor; it’s approximately 8. If they follow the workshop manual procedure properly and it won’t be a repeat issue.

OP
OP
pastorwug

pastorwug

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a workmanship issue. There is no timing cover gasket, it’s RTV. It’s also not 18 hours of labor; it’s approximately 8. If they follow the workshop manual procedure properly and it won’t be a repeat issue.
They were quite proud of how long it took them, like I would be glad they were careful or something, and waiting a week for the parts? What parts if it's RTV? They wouldn't give me a copy of the list of parts I had to wait for. I spoke with the parts guy there and he said he hates ecoboost engines, always leaking, and said I should expect the turbos to start leaking oil or coolant sometime soon! What a salesman!
This dealership never has the parts for any repairs, they told me (cam phaser issue) that the parts are 3 to 4 weeks out. I still have clicking until the engine warms up.
They're local and the next closest is 30 miles away in Arroyo Grande but I'm going to switch dealers.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They were quite proud of how long it took them, like I would be glad they were careful or something, and waiting a week for the parts? What parts if it's RTV? They wouldn't give me a copy of the list of parts I had to wait for. I spoke with the parts guy there and he said he hates ecoboost engines, always leaking, and said I should expect the turbos to start leaking oil or coolant sometime soon! What a salesman!
This dealership never has the parts for any repairs, they told me (cam phaser issue) that the parts are 3 to 4 weeks out. I still have clicking until the engine warms up.
They're local and the next closest is 30 miles away in Arroyo Grande but I'm going to switch dealers.
RTV is silicone sealant. There is nothing on the EcoBoost that make it more likely to experience a leak than any other engine. Never listen to parts guys, most of them struggle to use a basic parts catalog, never mind repair a vehicle.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think you are onto something, give a new dealer a chance to make you happy again.