Time for another BCM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, brace yourself. This one's gonna make you laugh...

So many of you followed along with my BCM failure which left me without my Raptor for 35 days. Finally everything got fixed and I've been enjoying my truck again. So yesterday when I'm at the dealer to get my clunk taken care of I mention that I'd like them to check two things. 1) are there any updates for Sync? (I knew there probably weren't but I still have quite a few problems with my iPhone only syncing phone functions but not bluetooth audio) and 2) since I got my truck back from the BCM fix (at another dealer a long ways away) I did pull fuse #18 and the main fuse harness to try to reset the Sync system (which actually was successful in bringing back my BT audio).

When I was doing that, I noticed that now my fuse panel was all loosey goosey. It had all kinds of slop as I pulled the fuse and pushed way in with nothing seemingly solid as I put it back in...also seemed like maybe the kick panel trim piece was messed up...like a clip was not seating or something. I asked them if they could check it out...as maybe it was just that a clip was missing or a clip was broken or something needed to be bent to get it to click in or something ?? I don't know ?? but please check it out.

I wait while the techs get working.... (45 minutes to an hour go by)

So the service woman comes out to the waiting area to tell me my driveshaft/slip yoke repair is complete. I'm excited. Then she says there were no updates for Sync. OK, as expected. Then the kicker..."we're going to have to order you a new BCM" WTF!!! I couldn't believe my ears. I said, "what? did you say you need to order another BCM?" She says, "yep".

She goes on to explain that the BCM is located right behind the fuse panel. And apparently to access the BCM, you unclip the fuse panel from it...ie the fuse panel actually is seated into clips or holes on the BCM's plastic enclosure. She said when they investigated the loose panel, they saw the problem...the BCM enclosure had been damaged...one of the clips or whatever had apparently been broken off when they put the new (remember the 2nd attempt) BCM in. So even though from a computer perspective, my BCM is A-OK...physically the case is damaged which makes the fuse panel not seat properly. So I need another new BCM.

I (thankfully) am just finding it laughable. In fact that is what I did when she told me. I laughed. She said they'd get it ordered and call me when it was in.

:birgits_tiredcoffee

HARLEY6LF250SDU

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unbelievable Tim, have you called the Dealer down in Moab area? They have to had known, but got you on the road after your 35 day wait anyway. Did you get a Free ESP PremiumCare Warr for your trouble and down time?

Sorry Brother,
randy

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Geeze, what an unfortunate saga. This time you're going to be able to continue to operate your truck until the new BCM is installed, right? I hope.

jdowens1

Ford Senior Master Technician
Reaction score
That is some really bad luck sorry to hear it. That is a mistake that I'm sure was known about and the person wanted to ignore it. BCM is also the fuse panel in the right kick panel they are one in the same. It was also known as the SJB (smart junction box). I hope they get it fixed alot quicker for you this time around.

Banned
Reaction score
Man some that is just ridiculous. Hope it's not another 35 days

-Posted with my iPhone.

OP
OP
bfr

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah...all's good. Figure I'll take care of it next time I'm at the dealer. No big deal.

OP
OP
bfr

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that JD...that the fuse box is incorporated with the BCM. So I decided WTF, I'm gonna pull it out and see where the problem is.

So it was the back bracket, the one that slides in on the side towards the firewall. It has 3 little friction stops that hold the bracket in place...2 of them were broken off.

After a little experimenting...I realized that as long as you have all the wiring plugs unplugged...it really does not matter if you are able to slide the bracket on or off anyway (and in the tech's defense...to slide it off even with only one stop intact was kind of a pain in the ass. Especially if you don't have it sitting in your lap...ie, haven't completely disconnected and removed it from the vehicle). So I said screw it, broke out the heavy duty super glue and made it so the back bracket is now attached to the BCM/fuse box permanently. Kind of a dumb design if you ask me...I'm guessing it is so they can use the same fuse box/BCM in multiple vehicles and only alter the mounting arms for the box to fit each vehicle.

You just angle it into the hole in the interior metal, then screw down the two screws (which are also nice and tight now). It is now solid as can be and I see no reason to mess around with another BCM...it ain't broke so don't fix it. Will call the dealer and cancel part.

Thanks a bunch jdowens...saved me some hassle.

I took a few pics if anyones interested...I'll post 'em up later.

OP
OP
bfr

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here's the bracket, the side of the BCM/fuse box with the two center friction nubs broken and the finished glued up assembly.

Attachments

• 8x6_IMG_0926.jpg
    8x6_IMG_0926.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 110
  • 8x6_IMG_0928.jpg
    8x6_IMG_0928.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 105
  • 8x6_IMG_0930.jpg
    8x6_IMG_0930.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 133

jdowens1

Ford Senior Master Technician
Reaction score
BFR, You are welcome. Glad I could help and I'm very glad you got it all fixed up for ya. They are a big pain in the ass to remove or install I agree.