GEN 2 Timbren install question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmb359

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife decided we needed a camper, so looks like I'll be towing occasionally now. Nothing crazy, 24' travel trailer around maybe 6-7k lbs loaded and around probably 650-700 tongue weight.

I decided to just try it out with a weight distribution hitch and some timbrens to help with sag, then go up from there if I don't like it. (Havent finalized the purchase and brought it home yet)

Got the timbrens today and put them on. People keep saying you should have about 1-1.5" gap below them before the pad. I have maybe a half inch.

My truck is a 2020, almost nothing in the bed, and about 3/4 tank of gas.

That sound normal, why might I have such little space?

284f36ea1211381365163b171f8a0733.jpg
449b21624eb675577b2dea0b5eb55c9f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tom wansor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had timbens on my GMC. Great when towing but lousy when not. I would recommend trying WD hitch first without timben.

OP
OP
dmb359

dmb359

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll remove them in winter or if I won't be towing for a while (or if they really bug me while not towing).

I took a spin around the block, hit a few speed bumps at like 30mph, didn't really seem any different then without them.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I'll remove them in winter or if I won't be towing for a while (or if they really bug me while not towing).

I took a spin around the block, hit a few speed bumps at like 30mph, didn't really seem any different then without them.

Man, unless the 2020 is way stiffer than my '18, I can't imagine how you are not banging against those on a typical speed bump. I had Timbrens on my last Ram and had to take them off when not towing. Not a fan.
If you don't go crazy with the size, I bet a W/D hitch is all you'll need. If you're taking a trip riding on the Timbrens the whole time, you are not going to like it.

Reaction score
I have a 2019 and use those when towing my boat. SInce there pretty easy to install and remove I install tow and then return to stock bump stop.