Tie Rod thread pitch question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98rangerdave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m wondering if anyone knows the thread pitch for the tie rods? To confirm, the truck is a 2012 but I believe 2009-2017 are all the same. Also, I’m assuming both sides are right hand thread since the part numbers are the same. I’m building a DIY 1/2 heim steering, OEM inner tie rod, but sleeved tube with a 7/8 x 3/4 FK rod end. My only issue is trying to find the thread pitch of the OEM inner tie rod as I need to purchase a few weld in bungs to make it all tie together. Any info would be great. Thank you!

Please see photo attached of what I’m talking about:

Attachments

• CB4E7F35-EB4F-4280-AAD6-2B9A53BCE7A8.jpeg
    CB4E7F35-EB4F-4280-AAD6-2B9A53BCE7A8.jpeg
    114.1 KB · Views: 5

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Get a tape measure and measure the threads per inch?

Or take it to a hardware store and search the bins til you find a nut that works.

Wild guess is 18 tpi

OP
OP
98rangerdave

98rangerdave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a tape measure and measure the threads per inch?

Or take it to a hardware store and search the bins til you find a nut that works.

Wild guess is 18 tpi
Thanks, removing was kind of my last resort as I know it’ll be a sure thing but it’ll also knock my alignment out until I can build the new rod ends. I was hoping the weld the bungs in and have it all ready to install before taking it a part.

Another option I was thinking was buying the OEM inner from an auto parts store, finding the thread pitch that way then returning it once I had my measurements. But hoping to avoid that too.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Measure the diameter, then you’ll likely have 2 or 3 options to choose from based on fine or coarse.

Do you have a tap and die set? They have the thread pitch tools on there to figure it out as well

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I only have an SAE one and I am pretty sure the tie rods are metric or I would measure them for you.

OP
OP
98rangerdave

98rangerdave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I purchased the inner tire rod from AutoZone, and it looks like the pitch is an M 18×1.5. The only issue is my hardware store doesn’t have the fine thread nut to confirm, but I can confirm it is not a coarse thread (2.0) M 18. The only other option would be 1.5, or ultrafine thread pitch at 1.0. But it doesn’t look that fine. I’m going to order the 1.5 and see if that screws onto what I purchased.

OP
OP
98rangerdave

98rangerdave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, my main reason for starting this thread was to figure out the bolt size / thread pitch. I need to purchase a pair of weld in bungs for the tubing needed to sleeve for a DIY heim steering upgrade. I believe I have all the info now to order. Gonna be a bit of trial and error until I finalize and weld it all together.

Once I get everything in order I’ll post a step by step “how to” for the forum. I love the idea of the heim upgrade but can’t bring myself to pay $700 for it when all the parts needed cost under $300 easy without really shopping around

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Thanks, my main reason for starting this thread was to figure out the bolt size / thread pitch. I need to purchase a pair of weld in bungs for the tubing needed to sleeve for a DIY heim steering upgrade. I believe I have all the info now to order. Gonna be a bit of trial and error until I finalize and weld it all together.

Once I get everything in order I’ll post a step by step “how to” for the forum. I love the idea of the heim upgrade but can’t bring myself to pay $700 for it when all the parts needed cost under $300 easy without really shopping around

Heims are a pain. They look cool but wear out quickly.