Tie Rod thread pitch question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
98rangerdave

98rangerdave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update****

I can say with confidence the inner tie rod size / thread IS NOT M18. It’s smaller, I’m thinking 11/16” as the m16 was too small. I little trial and error here but I’ll get the exact measurement tomorrow, gonna head to a fastener store locally to find the correct size/thread pitch. So far I’ve purchased:

7/8” x 7/8” rod end (left hand) through Ruffstuff (23.95 each)

Tapered spindle pins through RPG Offroad (expensive part) (not needed if you drill the spindle to accept a regular bolt) ($70 each, need 2)

I think after finding the correct inner weld in bungs and the 12-14” of tubing needed the total build cost will be just under $300, which is $200 cheaper than the next option made my RPG, granted their kit is a machined piece whereas mine will be welded tubing. I think a fun project and more affordable than other options of there. I’ll update again once I get the correct inner tie Rod measurements.

OP
OP
98rangerdave

98rangerdave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, it is settled! The OEM inner tie Rod thread and size is: M16x1.5. I went to a fastener shop today and they were able to find the exact thread and confirmed the size. Great news is there’s a shop in the UK that makes weld in bungs that exact size. Here’s a link, ended up being $6.63 each with $9 shipping.

I also went to the local tubing supply and picked up 3 feet (way too much but wanted extra in case I mess up the first cut) of 1 1/4 OD (1 ID) 0.120 wall and 2 feet of 1 1/2 OD (1 1/4 ID) 0.090 wall to sleeve the steering. Cost was $17 total.

So I’m just waiting on those to arrive and I’ll start a new thread on this forum with a complete DIY heimed steering option.