GEN 2 Ticking noise on cold start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Meier

Reaction score
Hi all,

Reaching out to get your opinion on what this could be. On cold starts, I'm getting a ticking noise that continues for at most 4 seconds. Goes away quickly after that. Doesn't happen after warming up, and doesn't always happen when cold. But most of the time now.

Will probably be taking it in (still under warranty), but would love to get the great techs (/s) at my local dealership something to start with if you've experienced before.

Thank you for the help. Research comes up with timing belt tensioner or blow off valve.

Cheers,
Matt

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nETHPh2hQzorGJAt8

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
That sounds like a cam phaser / failure to park correctly. What year / build date is the truck? If I understand the multiple times @FordTechOne has attempted to enlighten us about this issue in the past, the phaser failed to ‘park’ in the correct position at engine shutdown, and when the engine is completely cooled down - a cold soak - the ensuing engine start may exhibit that knocking sound you hear.

If it is the phaser(s), good news is it’s a well known, documented issue for which there is a permanent fix. bad news is that the front end of the engine needs disassembly.

Definitely take the video with you and get a few more if you are able.
Service department will square it right away in a day or 2 once the parts are in.

Therock88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@smurfslayer nailed it. From your video, it sounds exactly like mine did prior to having the Cam Phasers replaced. Great news is, once replaced (and they are newly designed parts too) it is totally gone! Other great news is, it will not harm your truck driving it like that...just annoying and loud.

There is a mileage limit/phaseout for how much is covered by Ford...But it is covered to a point 100%, so I would get it to the dealer and get it handled.

After repairs it purrs like a kitten at start up (A kitten with big teeth! )

Good luck,
DC

Therock88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great! My pleasure....You will be amazed how nice and quiet it is on start up after the new Phasers are installed.

DC