Tick Tick Tick?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
IRONMAN

IRONMAN

Reaction score
Naaah! I still hear it sometimes but the truck runs fine so I figured it was normal I guess.

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Iron has a 5.4, but my 6.2 has started ticking recently.
Any time my truck is running in park and I walk by the front I can hear it.

Raptorguy21

The Bob Vila of Trucks
Reaction score
Iron has a 5.4, but my 6.2 has started ticking recently.
Any time my truck is running in park and I walk by the front I can hear it.

Yeah it has.....I want to try a "thicker" oil and see what happens, if it doesn't go away I suggest you take it in

IoN6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem with a 2008 Ranger, did it from the day I drove it off the lot. Would do 4-5 ticks in a row, quiet out for 1-2 seconds and then do it again. Couldn't tell if it did it at speed, but if you just flogged the gas the ticks would rev with the engine. So it was pretty obvious that it was something going round and round / up and down. On a trip through Moab in the middle of summer at the McD's drive through I thought it was going to blow up it got so bad. Dealer acknowledged it wasn't "normal" but couldn't/wouldn't do anything about it since Ford didn't have any info on the issue. Got them to take it back and got a deal on a 2009 Ranger and didn't have the problem at all.

I've heard my 6.2L Raptor do it on start up a couple of times. I am hoping it doesn't get worse and will eventually go away.

All three trucks had a 500 mile break-in and then oil changed to Valvoline Full Synthentic with Napa Gold filters...

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The speed of the ticking rises and falls with rpm, correct? Or is the ticking at a constant rate and independent of rpm?