Thud / clunk when coming to a stop / braking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisMcP05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently have been hearing a thud / clunk when coming to a complete stop. I initially thought it was the transmission shifting harshly, but it has mad the noise even when in 1st gear without needing to shift down. It’s not every time I stop, but often and very light but I can feel / hear it when it does happen.

Do the Gen 2’s suffer any driveshaft issues / require to grease the shaft? Any thoughts or have others experienced a similar noise?

It made it in my garage the other day as well when turning the wheel at slow speeds (under 5 mph). Normally it happens when just driving straight but is more noticeable when driving low speeds for a while (stop sign to stop sign / traffic light to traffic light).

Any help / insight is appreciated. Truck is tuned both TCM and Engine.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check your swaybar endlinks.

Coastal

Reaction score
Yes I have this too. Felt/sounded like something broke free on those stops. They did the recall on my transmission where they wiped the learning a week ago. It’s still happening, but on a much lesser scale now.

OP
OP
ChrisMcP05

ChrisMcP05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I have this too. Felt/sounded like something broke free on those stops. They did the recall on my transmission where they wiped the learning a week ago. It’s still happening, but on a much lesser scale now.
Are you following up with them about the noise?
I’d be curious what they say. I’m going to reflash my transmission / ECU and see if it makes any difference, however by the sound of it I’m not sure it’s related to that.

Coastal

Reaction score
No leaf springs yet - took it back to have a wiring harness replaced since my driver rear sensor shorts in the rain. Tech drove it yesterday morning and got the 'thunk'. He's now replacing the valves on transmission. Will report back after I get it back and test it...

Coastal

Reaction score
So yes - he ended up rebuilding / replacing the whole valve body. Seems better now!