throwing a couple codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
so i have SW long tube headers and high flow cats and a custom tune from Mike@5star. for NYS inspection i need to go to stock to pass because my tune shuts the rear o2's off. when they are off the NYS inspection machine will see these sensor are not "ready" and will fail. i am getting 2 codes, i only get them in stock tune. i have no codes with the 5 star tunes loaded.

P0161 02 Heater ckt (bank2, sensor 2)

P0605 internal module read only memory (ROM) error

now the 02 heater code i am going to trouble shoot as it could be a bad sensor or damaged wire or even a plug that just came loose. the P0605 code i am not sure what exactly that means and how to fix it. i have gotten the P0605 code before when i sold my last tuner and was waiting for my current one i drove with the stock tune for a couple days and got the same code(JUST the P0605).

my other option is if i can solve the o2 sensor code i can just have mike send me another tune with the o2's on and i should be fine but if i can just get this all cleared up i wont have to bother doing that. so anyone have any ideas?

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It may be caused by the O2 that you suspect is bad....Have you tried to change the sensors around yet? Left to right, clear the codes and see if them come back.

A quick check on http://www.obd-codes.com/p0605

Your OBD-II Trouble Codes Repair Site P0605 - Internal Control Module Read Only Memory (ROM) Error OBD-II DTC Technical Description Internal Control Module Read Only Memory (ROM) Error What does that mean? This trouble code basically means that the PCM/ECM (powertrain/engine control module) has detected an internal control module fault in the ROM (read only memory) in the PCM. The PCM is basically the vehicle's "electronic brain" that controls functions such as fuel injection, ignition, etc. When self-checks fail in the ROM, this DTC is set. This code is a generic powertrain code. It is considered generic because it applies to all makes and models of vehicles (1996-newer), although specific repair steps may be slightly different depending on the model. A cursory search on the 'net shows this DTC to be more commonly found in Ford and Nissan vehicles. Symptoms Symptoms of a P0605 DTC will include MIL (malfunction indicator lamp) illumination, although there may be other symptoms including but not limited to various warning lights on dash, stalling, and no start conditions. Potential Causes There is an internal fault in the PCM / ECM Using an aftermarket performance programmer may trigger this code Possible Solutions In some cases, "flashing" the PCM with an updated software can fix this DTC. You will need acess to make & model specific information such as Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs). If there are no PCM flash updates, the next step would be to check some wiring. Inspect and check for proper voltage and ground to the PCM and throughout the associated circuits. If there are problems with them, repair and retest. If the wiring checks out OK, the next step is to replace the PCM, which is the most likely repair for this code. This is generally not a "do-it-yourself" task, although in some cases it may be. We strongly recommend you have a qualified repair shop / technician do the work, one that has the capability to reprogram the new PCM. Installing the new PCM may involve using special tools to program the vehicle's VIN (vehicle identification number) and/or anti-theft information (PATS, etc.). As an alternative to replacing the PCM, some specialized shops may actually be able to repair the PCM. That may involve removing the PCM, shipping it off to them for repair, and re-installing it. That's not always an option for daily drivers. NOTE: This repair may be covered under the emissions warranty so be sure to check with your dealer as this may be covered beyond the bumper-to-bumper or powertrain warranty period. Other PCM DTC codes: P0600, P0601, P0602, P0603, P0604, P0606, P0607, P0608, P0609, P0610. Register now to ask a question (free) Related P0605 DTC Discussions Code P0605 History / California DMV Smog Check RE: VW Cabrio 2002 I had a prior "Check Engine" light event with the following codes: P0605 P0103 These were cleared and were fine for 9 months until... I had an immobilizer issue (keys needed to be adopted) after I installed an aftermarket radio (Disconnected battery to install). K... * Need more help with a p0605 code? If you still need help regarding the P0605 trouble code, please post your question in our FREE car repair forums. Share NOTE: This information is presented for information purposes only. It is not intended as repair advice and we are not responsible for any actions you take on any vehicle. All information on this site is copyright protected. If you want to share this article or information with others, please link to this page, don't copy and paste it elsewhere. © 2004-2014 OBD-Codes.com

Read more at:*http://www.obd-codes.com/p0605
Copyright © OBD-Codes.com

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

OP
OP
NickPic83

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well I did some tests with the o2 sensor. I have 12v to the sensor, I confirmed I have a good ground to it as well, and tested the sensor it self and its good. Also checked the wires and they look good and undamaged. So it may be that the sensor is too far downstream....Im going to have to play around with it some more when I get the time. Work is crazy busy right now.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

LONGISLANDRAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NYSI is super hard to pass now. You are allowed to have one monitor "not ready" I would go back to the 5star tune and clear all codes. Drive the vehicle for at least 15 miles then park it and leave it to set the EVAP monitor. If all monitors but o2 set then it will pass. If it dosent complete the catalyst monitor and the o2 monitor then your in a tough spot Keep me informed.

OP
OP
NickPic83

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
no. i dont think my live wire has that feature

---------- Post added at 06:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 AM ----------

NYSI is super hard to pass now. You are allowed to have one monitor "not ready" I would go back to the 5star tune and clear all codes. Drive the vehicle for at least 15 miles then park it and leave it to set the EVAP monitor. If all monitors but o2 set then it will pass. If it dosent complete the catalyst monitor and the o2 monitor then your in a tough spot Keep me informed.

i was reading this over again. in the 5 star tune i have both rear o2's that wont ready due to them being turned off for the headers and in the stock tune i throw codes. so either way it wont pass at this point. i guess i could have 5 star just turn off the one o2 thats throwing the code in a tune and i wont throw codes but i will have one sensor that wont ready...

btw did u ever get your PSR in? did u install it yet?

OP
OP
NickPic83

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ok so today I swapped the rear o2's/ put the driver side one on the passanager side and put the passanger side one on the driver side. I also removed the plug anti fouler setup I did to limit the flow and I still get the P0161 heater ckt code. so the problem didn't follow the sensor so now that is confirmed good. earlier in the week I confirmed I have power to the plug and the wire is not damaged in any way so it appears the sensor just isnt heating up quick enough. any tips, tricks, ideas?