Throw back Thursday Upgraded Raptor camshafts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ROCKETW19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup I was afraid of that. 4k for even 60whp is not cheap. I shouldn't complain for the Gen V viper a HC package with tune, headers, exhaust and install was around 15-18k which seemed very high to me. Was a nasty kit and car but Damn that was some Viper Tax. I was hoping the Raptor cams would/could make the 35whp and run $1200.00 or so which is still not cheap but I like a cam sound and with the blower on top would be a nasty package.

yes that's sounds great in theory but there has to be a reason no one is installing cams on these?
whipple just made a gen 3 for their super charger more HP less heat and I just heard Roush is releasing a 2600 so they are keeping up with whipple.
IMO the 10K for 200HP is the best bang for the buck we can do on these trucks.

you also might think like I did. I had LS3 cams heads TB intake ect ect and went to add a super charger. well I had a vintage air front runner and no SC adapt to their front runners. so I took the motor out sold it and bought a brand new Wegner Mototrsports 850hp built LS3 for 22K sold motor for 11K see how it was cheaper to buy new way way better motor than try and add super charger on mine. I think we can build a better motor then try and get half ass parts to fit.

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
yes that's sounds great in theory but there has to be a reason no one is installing cams on these?
whipple just made a gen 3 for their super charger more HP less heat and I just heard Roush is releasing a 2600 so they are keeping up with whipple.
IMO the 10K for 200HP is the best bang for the buck we can do on these trucks.

you also might think like I did. I had LS3 cams heads TB intake ect ect and went to add a super charger. well I had a vintage air front runner and no SC adapt to their front runners. so I took the motor out sold it and bought a brand new Wegner Mototrsports 850hp built LS3 for 22K sold motor for 11K see how it was cheaper to buy new way way better motor than try and add super charger on mine. I think we can build a better motor then try and get half ass parts to fit.

The back story on cams:
long story short - we can't run aggressive cams without changing the pistons. Ford lied, the R/XT cams won't fit so our engines aren't 'essentially' the same as the Raptor R. bottom line, it costs a fortune to make this ******* ************* engine make any power.

I was told by a Livernois tech that the fully built n/a 6.6 would only make about 550bhp - a heads/cam/intake ls3 will make 630bhp.

it is exorbitantly expensive to make this boat anchor do anything so everyone just throws a blower on it - adding another 150lbs to an already nose heavy pig. It's dead nuts reliable, but sorely lacking in the n/a power department.

Last edited:

biturbomg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roush doing a 2600 would be nice but only if it makes sense for current roush guys to swap over vs moving over to the whipple which seems to have all the pulleys to make enough power to blow things up.

ROCKETW19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roush doing a 2600 would be nice but only if it makes sense for current roush guys to swap over vs moving over to the whipple which seems to have all the pulleys to make enough power to blow things up.

yea that's a tough one for me I don't have enough knowledge in the raptor motor at all. I have headers CAI and tune as I always thought I would get the new gen 2. but honestly for 75K and even more I will never buy the new raptor and like my outside looks better anyways. so now I am diving into making this more fun.

I doubt the old Roush guys can upgrade it will be a whole new system and tuning. the whipple on the other hand is a upgrade you can buy even thought its crazy money for 30hp (4K) but me buying brand new starting fresh the gen 3 is only $300 bucks more so why not.

I also wouldn't mind a non brand loyal person to tell me what Sc is better Roush or Whipple? the R guys say drivability and W guys say BS and we have more power. I have no clue lol

WARSUFER you seem pretty educated in these motors whats your opinion between the 2?

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 PM ----------

The back story on cams:
long story short - we can't run aggressive cams without changing the pistons. Ford lied, the R/XT cams won't fit so our engines aren't 'essentially' the same as the Raptor R. bottom line, it costs a fortune to make this ******* ************* engine make any power.

I was told by a Livernois tech that the fully built n/a 6.6 would only make about 550bhp - a heads/cam/intake ls3 will make 630bhp.

it is exorbitantly expensive to make this boat anchor do anything so everyone just throws a blower on it - adding another 150lbs to an already nose heavy pig. It's dead nuts reliable, but sorely lacking in the n/a power department.

Has anyone looked into a motor swap? It was easy for me to yank the LS3 and plop a new one in as its in a 62 impala no clue what it would be like in a 2014 raptor lol prob a huge nightmare but motor swap seems like the only way to go big. not saying that 600RWHP isn't plenty cuz I think it is actually

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
yea that's a tough one for me I don't have enough knowledge in the raptor motor at all. I have headers CAI and tune as I always thought I would get the new gen 2. but honestly for 75K and even more I will never buy the new raptor and like my outside looks better anyways. so now I am diving into making this more fun.

I doubt the old Roush guys can upgrade it will be a whole new system and tuning. the whipple on the other hand is a upgrade you can buy even thought its crazy money for 30hp (4K) but me buying brand new starting fresh the gen 3 is only $300 bucks more so why not.

I also wouldn't mind a non brand loyal person to tell me what Sc is better Roush or Whipple? the R guys say drivability and W guys say BS and we have more power. I have no clue lol

WARSUFER you seem pretty educated in these motors whats your opinion between the 2?

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 PM ----------

Has anyone looked into a motor swap? It was easy for me to yank the LS3 and plop a new one in as its in a 62 impala no clue what it would be like in a 2014 raptor lol prob a huge nightmare but motor swap seems like the only way to go big. not saying that 600RWHP isn't plenty cuz I think it is actually

I have no preference between the two (R vs W). If you are going to build the engine later, get the whipple. If not, the roush 650 package is probably plenty.

The issue I have with an LS swap is that you lose all the Raptor electronics (ORM, etc). If I could do it and keep the goodies, I'd swap in an LS7 in a heartbeat.

ROCKETW19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no preference between the two (R vs W). If you are going to build the engine later, get the whipple. If not, the roush 650 package is probably plenty.

The issue I have with an LS swap is that you lose all the Raptor electronics (ORM, etc). If I could do it and keep the goodies, I'd swap in an LS7 in a heartbeat.

yea that's why I mentioned it was easy my car is 1962 impala there is nothing to worrie about not even an airbag. for a DD truck it just wont be easy or even possible. but a race truck or weekend toy that would be pretty cool.

I do not plan on messing with the motor at all in truck other than the fast bang for buck and add super charger. my first pick was Roush but the new gen 3 caught me by surprise and more efficient blower is always a plus here in Hot ass California. thank you for your input.

Swacer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of coarse I have no clue but cams and heads on my LS3 was 60hp I had baby cam also.
I’m gonna assume the same on our trucks.
Trick flow heads - cam with all the BS and install was 4K. Prob gonna be close to the same maybe more install time but I’m only guessing

Must have been a baby cam, because I have a BTR Stage 4 cam, ported heads, and intake manifold and got almost 100hp in my LS3.

Anything less than 50hp gain from a cam alone isn't worth it IMO. Not for the amount of "tear down" you have to do.

ROCKETW19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Must have been a baby cam, because I have a BTR Stage 4 cam, ported heads, and intake manifold and got almost 100hp in my LS3.

Anything less than 50hp gain from a cam alone isn't worth it IMO. Not for the amount of "tear down" you have to do.

yup as I posted it was a baby cam. I started in one direction and turned to another in the middle of the build kind of messed up as I started wanting more power. it was gonna get deeper and deeper in my pocket so I called it and sold the motor to a guy who was happy with the power and build. I bought a new built motor with 856hp and only on 7LBs boost so I have tons of room to grow just in case but I doubt it

---------- Post added at 11:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 AM ----------

there was other factors on the mild HP gain like I had almost stock manifold on the motor only now do I have custom built headers from sanderson. story is to long and not on topic so I did explain

Last edited:

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So long story short, the head work and cams basically do nothing or does it truly improve response and performance?

Consider if you are actually using the truck in the desert and are at 1500 - 3000 ft is the cost worth it then? Greater flow to keep it NA and retain reliability be the key. Yes not big numbers but what do the gains actualy provide in real world not just dyno wars.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So long story short, the head work and cams basically do nothing or does it truly improve response and performance?

Consider if you are actually using the truck in the desert and are at 1500 - 3000 ft is the cost worth it then? Greater flow to keep it NA and retain reliability be the key. Yes not big numbers but what do the gains actualy provide in real world not just dyno wars.

The truck in the video gained 70 horsepower at the rear wheels with full exhaust, the cams, and a tune. My guess is the truck would have picked up around 35 horsepower with the full exhaust and tune so that means the cams added another 35. Plus they sound mean as hell. Price per horsepower is up to you to decide.

Dyno chart starts at 2500 but the torque curve looks good with the cams so it does appear drive ability remains good.

If I wanted more power but didn't want to supercharge I would definitely be looking at Livernois heads/cams/full exhaust, and tune. Throw some 4.56 or 4.88 gears in it and you'd be pretty damn happy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizona Free