Throttle stuttering on acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CSJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the spark plugs and change interval? With these tight gaps/different heat ranges, it can't be as long as the factory plugs.

Your first post was of a purchase of a 2011 Raptor. The remainder of your post is 95% Gen two. Why do you care about the spark plugs of a Gen2 Raptor? Did you upgrade to a Gen 2? If so, we'd like to see a picture of your change of heart! Oh and make sure to take the picture next to a picture of a sasquatch!

Onemoosehorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your first post was of a purchase of a 2011 Raptor. The remainder of your post is 95% Gen two. Why do you care about the spark plugs of a Gen2 Raptor? Did you upgrade to a Gen 2? If so, we'd like to see a picture of your change of heart! Oh and make sure to take the picture next to a picture of a sasquatch!

Lol. Yep, he’s back.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score

e89b0b_43caa4f2cb5b4f52be90b504b35dfb1d~mv2.webp

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Lol. Yep, he’s back.

who, Sasquatch77/mcnawsty/mgd? (s)he’s never left. are you suggesting @Gargamel is the new @MGD/mgd.?

It has other user profiles here, not sure it needs that many user id’s.

why not just ask-
@Gargamel, are you the same user banned as sasquatch77, mcnawsty and mgd ?

you don’t buy into that bunk about drilling a hole in the intercooler do you?
and you do realize the ecoboost 3.5 twin turbo is hand over fist superior to the 5.4 and 6.2 liter v8’s?

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay replying here.

Plugs do not fix this issue. Ambient air temperature has a lot to do with how noticeable it is. The colder the weather the worse the issue is.

Take your truck to the dealer and complain about this!! Otherwise we will not get a fix for it. There isn't a fix for it because Ford isn't working on one. The percentage of owners that have complained are so low that it doesn't justify Ford spending the man hours for a fix.

Our only other chance is that the new Navigator owners complain enough. Because the new Navigator has the same tune as the Raptor.

I hate it and it drives me crazy. So it's killing me that there isn't even a fix in the works.

Out of the 7 Raptors I've sold only 1 of those people have complained about the issue. Those 7 plus my truck are all that we've delivered so far. So at a 25% complaint rate that's probably lower than Ford will worry about.

So see your dealer with a complaint and call Ford customer service. We need your voice spoken.

ZyRiX

Reaction score
03,Darin. Has there been any updates to this? I have a 2018 Raptor, Build date 7-14-18 with this problem very pronounced.

OP
OP
C

caleb

Reaction score
I've had my truck in three times to two different dealers now for this issue and they've been unable to find a fix or really even give a shit. One said they could reproduce it the other claimed unable to reproduce it..."it drives the same as the Raptor we have on the lot right now..." I'm pretty much to the point that I'll probably sell my truck in the next few months and buy something else...most likely from a mfg that gives a shit. I'm tired of dealing with issues on a new vehicle and most particularly Ford.

mezger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has done this since new, up to around 1500 miles now. Running with traction control off seemed to fix it. Given this thread, I'm going to try running with it on and off and pay closer attention to make sure it's not placebo effect.

FWIW, my BMW N54 had a similar feel. When I'm commanding moderate torque (~half throttling) with a steady pedal input at moderate RPM (~2000-3000 RPM), feels like its repeatedly adding and removing throttle/fuel/timing. If I had to nail it down, it really feels like timing getting advanced and retarded. Like it's feeling for the edge of knock, then backs off, then advances to the edge of knock, then backs off...

It's not enough to get me upset, or report a problem, probably because I'm acclimated to it from the N54. I view it as sloppy OEM tuning or maybe an artifact of a turbo gasser. Or maybe it pulling out power for TCS. But it'd be nice if Ford did root cause and either correct it or explain why it's to be expected. I should check if BMW ever did a TSB on it....

Last edited:

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
What type of fuel are you running and what brand. Maybe try Chevron it’s good fuel or try adding octane booster to see if it goes away. I felt it with 87 but only run 91 now.

mezger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
93 octane, I think it's 'top tier', but I'll hit various brands. Probably 90% of the time it's Shell, if not, usually Chevron, Exxon, Valero.