Throttle stuttering on acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When I first read "hit the 60s" I thought you meant it went down to the 60s these past few days. Then, I saw you live in PA and realized you meant up to the 60s...

I have not experienced this issue, but I live in Texas where it has not been below 60 since I bought my truck in March. Last weekend we were almost to 100 degrees and the throttle / 10-speed transmission was smooth as silk...

Yeah we're at 90 today. But it's been slow getting to those temps this year.

Even at 70 its hard to detect. So I'm sure at 100 unless you know what you're looking for you'd never notice it.

Last edited:

Spm6110

Reaction score
Ford told us it existed on the 10 speed tranny trucks. I have driven a 17' non Raptor twice now and it does not have the issue. So Ford did tell us that they are working on this issue with the 5.0 motor but none of the others.

I'm anxious to see what the FSE thinks tomorrow after we drive my truck. I feel my truck is pretty bad. So does our lead tech. It will be interesting to see what the "corporate" mentally thinks.

I think a sticky is a great idea. Lets wait until tomorrow and see what the FSE has to say. Then we'll move forward with that.

Any update here? I just bought a 2018 and am having this problem. Trying to find some time to bring mine into the shop but concerned given they don't seem to be solving the problem here.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There isn’t a fix that I’ve come across.

I wonder if the 10 speed on the GMC side of things also does the jitterbug stutter step or if this is a Ford torque converter ECU issue.

I think we are experiencing the case of trying to do a little too much with the drive train.

Ford engineers would have fixed it by now if it was a simple fix or if they knew how.

Any update here? I just bought a 2018 and am having this problem. Trying to find some time to bring mine into the shop but concerned given they don't seem to be solving the problem here.

Spm6110

Reaction score
I get that they don’t have a fix and maybe it’s too much for the drivetrain but a $70K truck shouldn’t do that. I can’t see how us not pestering Ford about this is going to help.

Gargamel

Banned
Reaction score
I wonder if the 10 speed on the GMC side of things also does the jitterbug stutter step or if this is a Ford torque converter ECU issue.

From the GM side, I can tell you that I didn't feel any issue when I drove that combo. If you read their forums, this is also not a complaint from them.

It is most likely what you said - either a converter problem, or very poor tuning.

eclou

Full Access Member
Reaction score

my stuttering greatly improved after switching to the SP542 plugs. Yours will too

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score

eclou

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you saying that the spark plugs are experiencing misfires?

In my experience the stuttering was obvious from delivery. I just thought it might be traction control cutting torque because of wheelspin at mild/moderate throttle. The problem persisted in Sport mode and with traction control off.

The most similar experience I have had to it was with my 944 turbo race car. Running 20+ psi boost the motor would stutter as peak cylinder pressure hit around peak boost, causing knock/detonation/pre-ignition if I ran too much boost, ambient temp was too cold and AFR leaned out, or my race fuel mix was insufficient.

The 542 plugs are a stage colder and possibly tighter gap than factory, and I have much smoother acceleration now for $30

Gargamel

Banned
Reaction score
What is the spark plugs and change interval? With these tight gaps/different heat ranges, it can't be as long as the factory plugs.