Throttle stuttering on acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

squeak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's convenient for you that would be great. I'll be coming through Hershey Sunday around 11am. PM me some info and if I can make it convenient for you we'll meet up.

If you are interested I'll also take you for a ride in my truck so you can see what it's doing.

Thanks, I appreciate the offer.

Our service manager, lead teach and I were just discussing my truck. We were considering the tq converter replacement just to see if that would make a difference. Thinking it may be worth a shot to see if it helps.
I don't think I'll get up there quite that early. Staying at Hershey hotel and check in isn't until 4 but I'll pm you my cell and see if we can work something out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't think I'll get up there quite that early. Staying at Hershey hotel and check in isn't until 4 but I'll pm you my cell and see if we can work something out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Got it. I can probably make a trip back down there later or even Monday. I'll touch base with you when I have time.

I'm actually in the middle of selling the hotel 2 trucks right now.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I ended up not needing to take Squeak up on his offer to drive his truck. I mountain bike most Sunday mornings and one of the guys I usually ride with is one the two brothers that own the stores I work for. That brother works at one of the other locations and showed up Sunday morning with a 17' Raptor they just got in. So after the ride we switched trucks for about a 10 mile drive. Well I'll be damn that truck does the same thing. Not quite as bad but also very noticeable. I'd been talking with that owner about the issue because a while ago he had been driving another used Raptor that we had. He claimed it didn't have the problem. Sunday after we got to our destination and were swapping trucks back he said he thought he felt it once in my truck but wasn't sure.

Gargamel

Banned
Reaction score
I read the latest motortrend article about the F150 diesel. in their testing, they noticed that the 10 speed transmission was very jerky on acceleration.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I read the latest motortrend article about the F150 diesel. in their testing, they noticed that the 10 speed transmission was very jerky on acceleration.

The "stuttering, jerky, miss" is apparently only associated with the trucks that have the 10 speed. I have duplicated it on the standard 3.5 ecoboost trucks but it's not nearly as pronounced or noticeable as it is on the Raptors. I'm assuming the more aggressive tune on the Raptor is why its so much more noticeable. Trying to squeeze maximum performance out of the engine magnifies the tuning flaw.

The new Navigator that just recently hit the ground has the same tune as the Raptor. So hopefully those buyers speak up to Ford and force them to address the problem.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thought I'd post an update here.

Interestingly I have discovered that air temperature has a HUGE affect on this issue. Since temps have hit 60's here the condition is not really detectable unless you know exactly what you are looking for.

So this explains a few things:

1. Since I originally took delivery of my truck in January of 17' when it's pretty cold here in the NE is why I've felt it on my truck since new.

2. Also why I thought it was getting noticeably worse in fall of last year, since that's also when it gets cold here.

3. Why people in warmer climates don't recognize or feel the problem.

I'm thinking since the truck seems to be make more HP when it's cold that the faster processing required by the PCM may be taxing its capability??

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Interestingly I have discovered that air temperature has a HUGE affect on this issue. Since temps have hit 60's here the condition is not really detectable unless you know exactly what you are looking for.

1. Since I originally took delivery of my truck in January of 17' when it's pretty cold here in the NE is why I've felt it on my truck since new.

2. Also why I thought it was getting noticeably worse in fall of last year, since that's also when it gets cold here.

I'm thinking since the truck seems to be make more HP when it's cold that the faster processing required by the PCM may be taxing its capability??

It likely isn't taxing the processing capability, but rather the software is set up wrong and always a bit slow and "indecisive". The cooler ambient temps allow the trans fluid temp to stay a bit cooler and makes it seem worse.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score

Is the truck fully up to operating temps when the stuttering occurs? We have a Subaru Forester Turbo that has a safety default built into the factory tune that limits boost, timing , and fuel until it is up to temp. Power and drivability are drastically affected until the temp comes up. Subaru was kind enough to give you a blue warning light indicating that you are not up to temp yet. Once the light is out normal performance is restored. Perhaps Ford has something similar buried in their programing? Any chance you are drawing in unmetered air anywhere?

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It likely isn't taxing the processing capability, but rather the software is set up wrong and always a bit slow and "indecisive". The cooler ambient temps allow the trans fluid temp to stay a bit cooler and makes it seem worse.

I've learned a lot through this process but definitely don't know enough to determine what the issue is. Just guessing by the experinces I've en through with it. Hell even Ford can't figure it out, or doesn't want to spend the time to do it. lol

We're letting our FSE know. Not that it will change anything at this point though.

Is the truck fully up to operating temps when the stuttering occurs? We have a Subaru Forester Turbo that has a safety default built into the factory tune that limits boost, timing , and fuel until it is up to temp. Power and drivability are drastically affected until the temp comes up. Subaru was kind enough to give you a blue warning light indicating that you are not up to temp yet. Once the light is out normal performance is restored. Perhaps Ford has something similar buried in their programing? Any chance you are drawing in unmetered air anywhere?

Yes. It has the issue no matter what temp the engine and or fluids are. Ambient temp is what affects it.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score

When I first read "hit the 60s" I thought you meant it went down to the 60s these past few days. Then, I saw you live in PA and realized you meant up to the 60s...

I have not experienced this issue, but I live in Texas where it has not been below 60 since I bought my truck in March. Last weekend we were almost to 100 degrees and the throttle / 10-speed transmission was smooth as silk...

Last edited: