GEN 2 Throttle Response Issue - Power Cutting Out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scott Holcomb

Reaction score
I currently have a 2019 Raptor with around 5k miles on it. Recently I have had a couple issues where while accelerating, I will experience the power cutting out for a moment. It doesn't last long, its a couple seconds, but its VERY noticeable.

It doesn't happen all the time. It happens about once every couple of days.

I am considering it may be an oil level issue and I plan on checking the oil level when I get back to the truck this evening. I was just curious if anyone else had experienced a similar effect?

Thanks for the help or feedback.

zfgracing

Reaction score
I currently have a 2019 Raptor with around 5k miles on it. Recently I have had a couple issues where while accelerating, I will experience the power cutting out for a moment. It doesn't last long, its a couple seconds, but its VERY noticeable.

It doesn't happen all the time. It happens about once every couple of days.

I am considering it may be an oil level issue and I plan on checking the oil level when I get back to the truck this evening. I was just curious if anyone else had experienced a similar effect?

Thanks for the help or feedback.
scan for pending check engine lights

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

WraptorBoy

Reaction score

If you're experiencing what I and others have, it's not an engine cut out. It's a 2 second transmission delay when shifting up, when at a seemingly certain engine/trans temperature.

It will happen once with a vehicle that has been sitting for a few hours and never again during the rest of your driving session.

For me, it happens when the truck has been sitting from my morning commute and I go for lunch (about 4 hours after parking). The water temp is about 100 and the same with the trans temp.

If you sit back firmly in your seat and gently brace yourself, you won't notice it. I noticed, when I first started off on my commute, I was leaning forward in my seat and when the "cut out" occurred, I was unprepared and was lunged forward.

After it hits that "spot", you should be good and it won't happen again.

Most here will tell you that all the Ford transmissions act this way when cold.

I don't think it has anything to do with temps. It just appears that way. I think the programming of the shift under those conditions needs to be looked at and adjusted. Unfortunately, it's just the nature of ECTs (electronically controlled transmissions).

I checked for codes are there aren't any because the computer/trans isn't doing anything wrong... according to it. I'm just waiting for the system to say to me "Sarah Connah"... then I will run in the opposite direction.

If your issue happens more than once and cold, hot or whatever, you may have bigger issues.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I was just curious if anyone else had experienced a similar effect?

Yup, today in fact. It’s rainy, about 35F. I needed to be in front of the plodding SUV to my right and I rolled into throttle quickly, I was in 4a but eventually I busted traction at all 4 wheels and the truck cut power down to like 10%. Kind of a shame because the truck was moving out sharply and just digging for traction and felt like she was getting a bite but the computer said “NO” !

It’s the nannies in normal mode, the only mode with more aggressive nannies is weather. If you go to Raptor Assault, they illustrate this to you on the dirt/gravel course. If you’re in 2H, it’s pretty easy to overdraw the traction budget.

Also, if the collision alert goes on, your throttle gets cut. This is difficult to force, but if you’re, say, changing lanes, while accelerating and the car in front slows, or stops the truck throws the collision alarm and your throttle gets cut. its supposed to prime the brakes too, and I believe it, but I’ve never had the collision go off when I needed to panic stop and wasn’t already hard on the brakes.

could also be the low oil condition.

OP
OP
S

Scott Holcomb

Reaction score

If you're experiencing what I and others have, it's not an engine cut out. It's a 2 second transmission delay when shifting up, when at a seemingly certain engine/trans temperature.

It will happen once with a vehicle that has been sitting for a few hours and never again during the rest of your driving session.

For me, it happens when the truck has been sitting from my morning commute and I go for lunch (about 4 hours after parking). The water temp is about 100 and the same with the trans temp.

If you sit back firmly in your seat and gently brace yourself, you won't notice it. I noticed, when I first started off on my commute, I was leaning forward in my seat and when the "cut out" occurred, I was unprepared and was lunged forward.

After it hits that "spot", you should be good and it won't happen again.

Most here will tell you that all the Ford transmissions act this way when cold.

I don't think it has anything to do with temps. It just appears that way. I think the programming of the shift under those conditions needs to be looked at and adjusted. Unfortunately, it's just the nature of ECTs (electronically controlled transmissions).

I checked for codes are there aren't any because the computer/trans isn't doing anything wrong... according to it. I'm just waiting for the system to say to me "Sarah Connah"... then I will run in the opposite direction.

If your issue happens more than once and cold, hot or whatever, you may have bigger issues.

Thank you for the feedback and this might be it, but my only apprehension with going with this solution was it wasn't shifting up or down. It was steady acceleration after turning a corner. I get straightened out and am accelerating and the power cuts out.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It has been a problem with the ecoBoost engine since it was introduced. I had a 2011 Lariat and a 2012 Platinum that did something very similar. It's why I drive a V8 Raptor that is almost six years old and has never experienced a loss of power in 140K miles.

Beinkounter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like an oil issue. I had the same issue at 4,000 miles, checked the oil and it was almost empty. Took it to the dealership and after they did the repair and oil change, the engine power was back with a vengeance.

Rich E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happens to me all the time and not an oil issue. 2018 with 25k on it. Has been happening since since new. It sucks when I need to pass someone and the truck literally stalls for about 3-5 seconds. I put my foot to the floor and the engine sounds and acts like it was flooded with fuel and temporarily stalls. I know that is not what it is but that is the sensation.

Love the truck ... hate this stalling.

Dealer can’t find anything wrong. I do check for codes and there is nothing.

[emoji30]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sherman Tank

Reaction score
I have 4,500 miles on my 2019 and it has happened to me 2 to 3 times now. The experience explained above is my exact scenario. Drive to work in morning, leave for a meeting or lunch around 11-12 and first turn after leaving parking lot a small lag or cutout and than it's gone and everything is fine. It first happened after install of pedal commander but i disconnected and still happened.

dilmorecg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have noticed the transmission shifting issue described above when cold pulling up my hill out of the driveway. Low to mid acceleration it will kind of "bog" when it shifts. Happened probably a dozen times. Now I just adjust how much gas I give it when cold pulling out and don't notice it as often.