GEN 2 Throttle delay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ArmyTanker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am experiencing a throttle delay, almost like a stumble at tip in. When the foot pedal is all the down to its lowest position, the throttle delay is most minimal, but if you raise the foot pedal, the delay gets more pronounced. Any thoughts ? Possible throttle body issue?

2019 Raptor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is a big difference between a stumble and delay. A stumble means that the engine loses power before acceleration; a hesitation/delay is just as it sounds. If there was a throttle body issue, you'd have a CEL and Wrench Indicator. That system is monitored extremely closely by the PCM, especially since the Toyota unintended acceleration defect and resulting lawsuits.

The factory calibration on Raptors is comparable to the Eco mode on standard F-150s; this is due to fuel economy requirements. Hence why there is no Raptor Eco mode as there is on an F-150 3.5. I experience the same thing on my '19; the response when requesting heavy throttle is very lethargic. Sport mode resolves the issue for me; it feels like a different truck.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Yeah, in normal mode, the truck is very hesitant to downshift. Though I thought the revised calibration (TCM?) fixed that. It did for my 2017. Not saying it’s perfect, but in my case the truck wouldn’t downshift over 40mph unless you floored it, literally. The truck would try to boost its way out of it. It took 2 visits to the stealership but they did the recalibration and it was a night and day difference.

In sport mode the truck doesn’t jump to the highest possible gear and won’t upshift until about 1900-2000 rpms so when you throttle in, response is much better because you’re closer to the power band and the hair dryers are already minimally spooled, as opposed to the 1200-1500 rpms the Rap likes to cruise at

It sounds like you’re describing a difference in throttle based on the adjustable pedal position. I’ve not noticed that.

OP
OP
ArmyTanker

ArmyTanker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a big difference between a stumble and delay. A stumble means that the engine loses power before acceleration; a hesitation/delay is just as it sounds. If there was a throttle body issue, you'd have a CEL and Wrench Indicator. That system is monitored extremely closely by the PCM, especially since the Toyota unintended acceleration defect and resulting lawsuits.

The factory calibration on Raptors is comparable to the Eco mode on standard F-150s; this is due to fuel economy requirements. Hence why there is no Raptor Eco mode as there is on an F-150 3.5. I experience the same thing on my '19; the response when requesting heavy throttle is very lethargic. Sport mode resolves the issue for me; it feels like a different truck.
Thanks - when I go in for service I’ll ask them to check the pedal position mechanism as it just acts differently depending on the pedal position ( high- low).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk