Throttle Body & CAI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DS550

Reaction score
I have seen some mixed reviews and thoughts on the benefits of a CAI install…I like the quiet sound I get from the stock set-up but want some more power and throttle feel. I drive 40,000 miles a year with the truck (127,000 total) and I don’t want check engine lights popping up all the time.

option 1: whipple CAI (no tune) with BBK throttle body

option 2: K&N air filter with BBK throttle body

option 3: K&N air filter only

Blown00gt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my opinion you are wasting money on any of these. I have ran bigger throttle bodies on vehicles before and have thrown codes, drivability issues in the past same with CAI. Not sure you see a difference unless running high boost, bigger ported heads, and all the supporting mods. CAI is more for show. Not wanting to tune it I know several mixed reviews but I liked what my pedal commander did just from the take off. I did ditch that and added a tune after a couple months though. I’m sure there are other opinions but that’s my $.02.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
First and foremost, you will not realize any improvement in fuel economy from any CAI. Not so much as a tenth.

You didn't mention what you drive, so it's impossible to provide anything specific. So I'll tell you about my own experience. I installed AIRAID #401-277 on my 2011 GEN1 at only 4,000 miles. I now have over 94K miles on the truck. There have been no codes and no issues of any kind. I like the convenience of being able to clean the filter at my convenience, not having to repeatedly buy air filters, and the modest addition of "intake honk." I am satisfied with the product and with my purchase of it. That's it, the whole CAI experience.

OP
OP
DS550

DS550

Reaction score
First and foremost, you will not realize any improvement in fuel economy from any CAI. Not so much as a tenth.

You didn't mention what you drive, so it's impossible to provide anything specific. So I'll tell you about my own experience. I installed AIRAID #401-277 on my 2011 GEN1 at only 4,000 miles. I now have over 94K miles on the truck. There have been no codes and no issues of any kind. I like the convenience of being able to clean the filter at my convenience, not having to repeatedly buy air filters, and the modest addition of "intake honk." I am satisfied with the product and with my purchase of it. That's it, the whole CAI experience.
Thanks…I have a Gen 2 (2018)

OP
OP
DS550

DS550

Reaction score
In my opinion you are wasting money on any of these. I have ran bigger throttle bodies on vehicles before and have thrown codes, drivability issues in the past same with CAI. Not sure you see a difference unless running high boost, bigger ported heads, and all the supporting mods. CAI is more for show. Not wanting to tune it I know several mixed reviews but I liked what my pedal commander did just from the take off. I did ditch that and added a tune after a couple months though. I’m sure there are other opinions but that’s my $.02.
Thanks…I’ve saved all of the big boost mods and supporting equipment for my mustang. I can’t get too crazy with the daily truck since it is my daily driver. I guess I will focus on suspension upgrades as items wear out

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Open filter "Cold air intakes" on any forced induction motor, especially one that may see off road environments, is a BAD idea. The reduced filtration WILL damage the turbo vanes. Mushroomed turbo blades. Not worth it.

jimmyjamm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a couple of different CAI concepts out there; the ones that replace the airbox with a larger airbox and a much larger filter, and those that replace the airbox with open element air filters. The first will give you very subtle improvements, slightly better throttle response since the airbox is larger in volume the OE, and, the filter is much larger (even if you go with the dry style elements) and can flow more air with less intake/filter restriction and last longer before needing to be cleaned as a result. The OE airbox and these aftermarket styles that replace the OE airbox with an aftermarket one utilize the stock routing that brings cold air from in front of the radiator routed under the front of the hood on top of the radiator core support.

The open element style increase noise and depending on the brand, they can actually bring in more dirt if they pull from the inner fender well when off road, or pull from the engine bay as a result of poor or no air routing from a cold source.

I actually ran numbers comparing the size of the OE filter and it restricts up to 9.4 Hp as you near redline at WOT...one thing to keep in mind, the Raptor uses the same OE filter that the non-HO ecoboost in a regular F-150...so an engine that makes another 80 Hp and like 120 ft-lbs of torque doesn't need more air?---it uses more fuel, so it must need more air, right?

Ellison3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed the Full Race CAC, Full Race throttle body spacer, and Full Race Oil Catch systems on my 2016 Expedition. Got the Full Race CAI to add this weekend. After I installed the CAC I had a check engine light until I went in for a mod to my existing tune.

With the original tune it had a noticeable boost in power. After the CAC install it was crazy!!! BIG difference!!! Didn’t have the CAI during the re-tune, but it was accounted for during reprogramming by opening the stock cleaner box. I’ll get the CAI installed this weekend, but don’t expect to see a big gain from what I see now…

Got over 400hp at the crank, and just over 700lbs per/ft of torque if my math is right on using the 15% rule.

I said all that to say if you guys did what I did you would definitely get a big seat in the pants experience as your trucks are H.O. 3.5’s already. A little kick to them would be really nice!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited: