GEN 1 Thrid Brake light LED Replacement

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Lighting Modifications Forum [GEN 1]' started by Raptized, Sep 24, 2017.

Sponsored By: KC HiLiTES
  1. Raptized

Raptized Full Access Member

2. Mike175

Mike175 Full Access Member

You cannot replace just a LED. The whole light needs to be replaced. It is my understanding that it is welded together and cannot be opened without damaging it.

3. Five-O Donut Hole

Five-O Donut Hole FRF Addict

That is correct..mine has blown twice under warranty. Not a cheap part if just one LED goes out. Whole component needs replacing

4. Raptized

I took it off, and it looks like I can disassemble it. I was looking to see if it is hard taking a single led off, and replacing it. I am unsure if it is on a board or somewhere else.

5. SZDZMTR

SZDZMTR FRF Supporting Member Supporting Member

Just a thought call diode dynamics, just google them. They make LED light bulbs. May be they will be able to suggest how to repair the light. I bought bunch of LED lights from them for my truck. Quality stuff.

Raptized likes this.
  6. Raptized

I just upgraded all my interiors from them. I'll give that a try. Thanks!

7. downforce137

downforce137 Full Access Member

the light is sonic welded together.. you basically have to break the clear part away from the grey backing. i successfully opened a bad one to take a look at the board... the board really isnt serviceable, so your best bet is to make a new one from perf board and get new leds and resistor/diodes to make it function like oem, or drop $300 on a new one. the water is getting in thru the screw holes and ruining the boards, so if you do buy a new one, id suggest filling the recessed holes half way with some clear epoxy and then drilling a new mounting hole and use longer screws

Raptized likes this.
  8. Raptized

I did the epoxy trick but it was too late. The light had already gone, I just didn't know it.

9. 4x4TruckLEDs.com

4x4TruckLEDs.com Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

We have a line of LED replacement bulbs (CrystaLux we call it, formerly called ClaraLux). Same quality as other brands, but for a bit less $$.

So if you can open that thing up you may be able to replace the bulbs using a soldering iron and some silicone perhaps.

OR you could always buy a replacement housing (LED kind)

OR buy the regular 3rd brake light/cargo that you see on regular F150s... take out the halogen bulbs, throw replacement LED bulbs in. Now you have a really cheap housing (because it's not BUILT with LED bulbs) and you can upgrade them to even brighter bulbs (we sell a 921 CL90 we call it, which is 900 raw lumen which works great for the cargo lights).

There are options out there depending on how crazy you want to get with the "modding"

10. Hamm3r

Hamm3r Full Access Member

If mine goes out I'm getting the one from Miller Offroad. Expensive as all get-out, but it does come with two BD lights.

Fusco0520 and Idleone like this.