Thoughts on Vision X LED Light Cannons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sethrad

Reaction score
I have the VisionX lights on my 2018 Raptor. Love ‘em. Quality, ease of installation, price...all excellent. Durability...so far excellent. I often find myself asking...should I pay more to go with what’s popular, or should I do some homework and figure out which is the best product? I did my homework...I decided on VisionX...and price was no object.

raptor36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
VisionX was the shit on this forum about 5 years ago. Seems like everyone had a set of gen1 25w cannons near the a-pillar/ hood mount. They were so popular that 10-person group buys were offered by forum vendors often. I would say VisionX was just as popular as BD is now. Of course BD’s popularity has pretty much eclipsed everyone nowadays.

Initially my truck had 4 VisionX 25w light cannons and a 24” VisionX XPR:
b1448a9cd1c558850a689c0965a22279.jpg

I have since gone buck wild. I upgraded those 25w cannons to VisionX CG2 mult led cannons (which are the ones you are curious about). I also replaced my XPR with a Baja Designs 20” ONX+. Recently I added a pair of 6’7” VisionX ADV lights:
23b68c7a2bc825dc2e6dd531b9e1da9c.jpg

I have also ran different types of Rigid and KC lights that I had sold off to upgraded. I really enjoy lighting and it’s my favor mod to tinker/ mess with. I guess I am just trying to give my opinion credibility. Check out my ongoing write up:

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/visionx-gen2-light-cannons.114184/

VisionX makes a great light. They are innovative just like any other high end company and utilize many of the same CREE LED’s. For example, the VisionX ADV and CG2 lights utilize the “CREE XP-L high” LED found in the Baja Designs XL racer. Or so I am told. Of course Baja Designs puts their personal spin on it (runs it 100% and has a warm white color temp).

So, my opinion would be to buy a BD light for your a pillar/ hood mount. I would select either the BD XL pro or BD XL80. I say that for a variety of reasons. The “U-service” makes the light very versatile, resale market (should you choose the upgrade later) is better than other companies, BD is super active on this forum and the output is great.

If you can hold out a few months, BD does a killer “Black Friday” when combined with dealer promotions. Deals on their lighting for sure! Buuuuut, you really can’t go wrong with the VisionX CG2 lights. However, based on my obsession, I personally would opt for the BD XL pro and, if you can afford, the BD XL80. For A-pillar, get the light in all spot. Not combo or flood. Take advantage of the higher mounting location and utilize the spot pattern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Maintecheib

Reaction score
I just put the VisionX 4.5" 40w on my A pillars, love them. Great distance. Put the clear spot lens on, after painting the edge. Excellent set up great lights. Also have blue lens for snow.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
I recently purchased the BD XL80 in drive/combo but I believe you can change out the reflector for all spot if you would want to change it.

I'll see how I like the drive/combo and will decide if I'd prefer the spot.

Drive/Combo I believe has the two lower lights that throw a little wider since the lower lens is diffused and two spots on the top portion for better throw which I figured would be the best of both worlds but I've never ran A-Pillar lights before so not really sure what is the best option but at least one can change the lens out, I think.

Last edited:

Baja Designs

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I recently purchased the BD XL80 in drive/ combo but I believe you can change out the reflector for all spot if you would want to change it.

I'll see how I like the drive/ combo and will decide if I'd prefer the spot.

The reflectors are actually the same, the lens is what changes the lighting pattern. :)

raptor36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I just dug up some of my old photos. The rocky face of this hill is 1,000 feet away (laser range finder):
4d69ae1371e94c36238d2821ff3d103d.jpg

The VisionX Gen1 25w Cannons are rated for 1,000 feet of “usable light” by VisionX. Here is that night shot proving their claim to be 100% correct and exceeding my expectations:
272ae1934387d19c3f0a4ab6eff7372c.jpg

Expect the CG2 40w single LED to push out an extra 115’ of distance light. And this gen1 Cannon photo is a couple years old taken with a 2016 IPhone (kinda sucks). It was a better presentation in person. You can see this light’s primary function is distance and pretty darn good at it.

Whatever you choose. Please come back and post install photos :)

Last edited:

raptor36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious what route you ended up going. Please update.

Since you inquired about VX multi LED lights in your original post...

I took my VX lights off my bumper and they where filthy.
18c59bbfd5820499dabefcf4dd2253fb.jpg

ac587bea6e7a110e1726744aa3f93a0d.jpg

I cleaned all four with car wash soap and soft brush....
f49310fb9926e9d407b1ce1be725f502.jpg

They look brand spanking new again. That is after a rinse and air dry only. Nothing else. The front held up amazing also.....
8e5f303335d0af38b67afdfd368b14c3.jpg

No condensation, fading, discoloring, etc. Btw, these are three years old.

This is just one light! Mounted on the top hoop of my bumper. Some flood/ distance cut off due to iPhone autofocus. However, still a great photo. In person the trees in the background are nicely illuminated....
81e18591db50a1ad782f157648a139b2.jpg

All four lights....
139d0afa549a5dfafd3953e913c35080.jpg

In person there is a blanket of light covering the houses and trees in background. Photo does a pretty good job but brighter in person for sure.
b71c105cb494b907586b346a5a39d623.jpg

Angled two out to the sides and kept two in the center pointing forward.

These are very nice lights and I am pretty happy with them. What do you think?