Thoughts on Amber Light Bars?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NH-Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for thoughts from members on behind-the-grille light bars amber (yellow, not orange) in color. Any thoughts on who makes amber bars that fit, that also aren't the color of a Burger King sign?

Has anyone had success with with light bars above the FORD logo (behind the grille) with a 40" bar, or is 30" the max behind the grille?

Also, has anyone installed a light bar(s) below the FORD logo (behind the grille), perhaps a 10" on either side of the camera? Ideally, I'd put a 30" or 40" white light bar above the logo, and two 10" amber bars below the logo.

I've looked at the BD offerings, and it's difficult to justify the prices. It just seems tough to swallow a price that is up to 4X what others charge, just for a brand name. Can others (other than the mfgs reps) give me their take on what they feel is the best value for the money out there.

I would welcome your thoughts and suggestions.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You can grab the Baja Designs S8 Grille kit and then change out the white lenses for amber. That'd actually be pretty sick.

I'm a BIG fan of Amber lights from Baja. They are just awesome for dusty conditions and snow/bad weather.

You can throw a 10" OnX6 bar in the lower grille on your Gen2 as well... same concept. Grab the Baja Designs kit, and swap out the lense...

Let me tell you, yes Baja Designs is expensive but it's something you buy once, cry once and then just enjoy the rest of your life. It's really worth it.

30" S8 Kit: http://www.4x4truckleds.com/baja-designs-ford-raptor-2017-30-s8-grille-led-light-bar-kit/

10" OnX6 Kit: http://www.4x4truckleds.com/baja-designs-ford-raptor-2017-onx6-lower-grille-led-kit/

S8 and OnX6 lenses: http://www.4x4truckleds.com/led-lig...bars/lighting-accessories/replacement-lenses/

We actually have everything in stock in our warehouse from the 30" Kits and the 10" Kits down to the lenses you'd want as well.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
There are kits out there to add dual “single row” LED bars, and I think there’s a 30” S8 BD kit (?).

Early on, I grabbed some 17” Amazon bars at 7500 lumens each. I mounted mine above the logo, detailed in the lighting forum. They’re combo lights and do not have anywhere near the distance of a quality B/D light or others, but they throw a lot of short distance light for sure. I’m hoping to slide in some slightly smaller baja design lights soon. I can tell you from pulling the grill that above the logo, it will be difficult to mount a double row LED bar. Not sure how the kits do it, but adding LED’s without modifying the shutters is a challenge.

If you think justifying the BD prices is a bit of a chore, let me offer this

I’m perfectly happy with the 17” / 7500 lumen per light bar output of my behind the grill Amazon lights. Nevertheless, I’m pulling them and slapping in something from BD, because the 15,000 lumens these 2 lights put out, are eclipsed by a single pair of baja design squadron pros - hell, even the squadron sports with wide angle lens are damn close. Lumens aren’t the whole story for decent LED lights.

I’m not a vendor here, and I don’t get any store credit from any of the supporting vendors for saying this ( but I darn well should ).
If you’re just posing, sure, cheaper lights will do just fine. If you’re actually using the lights, they are not bull $hitting you about the light output.

I would much rather have to not pull that grille apart again, but I know the output increase is going to be worth it. Buy once, cry once.

FastEddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've looked at the BD offerings, and it's difficult to justify the prices. It just seems tough to swallow a price that is up to 4X what others charge, just for a brand name.

"just for a brand name". Nope. BD are the best lights and its not "just a brand name". Best engineering, reliability and service standing behind their lights. Ran a bunch on my gen1 and in the works to do the same on gen2. Very happy with them.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wanted to comment also that Baja Designs is far more than "Just a name" slapped on. I ran their products off road racing with my bikes (when I was younger, they've been around a while like me) and was NEVER disappointed in either their products, or their great support after you buy. They also helped me out by building a custom high output stator for one of my bikes. They are knowledgeable as hell and always willing to help out a customer. These guys are a class act and have been for a long time.

Last edited:

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amber light is the best for dusty and snow conditions, white light just reflects back at you. If you go with a behind the grill bar, you will loose 30% of the output, FYI.

I modified my BD lower grill bar to be flush with grill, not sit behind it.

1c40e8e9-4002-4b82-affe-485436f21016-original.jpg
64251e1f-07ab-442b-abc2-b9a8e791907d-original.jpg

OP
OP
NH-Raptor

NH-Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Big Blue.

I’m in NH, so we have more issues with fog and snow than we do with just lighting up the night.

For your lower grille, did you simply cut out a slot for the light bar?

If so, do you know anyone that has cut a slot in the main grille to insert a 30” bar above the FORD logo and/or two slots below the logo, on the left and right side of the grille?

If possible, I would install a white 30” curved bar at the top of the grille, and two 10” amber grills below the “F” and “D”. I haven’t seen it done, but it could be a clean look that maximizes light, while not protruding out of the bumper. I’m really trying to avoid buying a different bumper, as I think the stock one is attractive, and I don’t want to mount an external bracket, as it loses its sleek look.

OP
OP
NH-Raptor

NH-Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW, I’d like to be able to use the lower grille as a lighting area, but front plates are required, and that is where the plate goes.

I’m not sure I want to mount the plate to the side—just ruins the balanced look of the front of the truck.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW, I’d like to be able to use the lower grille as a lighting area, but front plates are required, and that is where the plate goes.

I’m not sure I want to mount the plate to the side—just ruins the balanced look of the front of the truck.

Yes, it nice using the lower grill area as it's dead space, but presents an issue for those that run a front plate. I have not seen anyone cut out the upper grill yet for a flush install, but anything is doable with the right tools and hardware, although I think it's going to be a challenging job based on how much stuff is located behind the upper grill.

Have you considered hood mounts? That way you get no blockage and don't have to cut/modify anything.

Also keep in mind, size is not always better when it comes to light bars, it's lumens that matter and BD puts out more lumens per inch compared to the competition.

BTW, Amber is also great for fog just like snow versus white light which is horrible in either snow or fog.

P.S. No I did not just cut out a hole for the flush install, for the lower area, you need to use longer bolts and spacers to move the light bar mount flush with the grill and needless to say, you don't want to screw up cutting the grill or it will either look crappy or wont fit right. Those upper grills are expensive. I bought a 2nd lower grill off ebay in case I Fked up during the project.

Last edited: