Thoughts of value once the Raptor is discontinued.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not sure if there has been a thread on this. But obviously the Raptor will be discontinued one day. But what will happen? Will the value go up? Will a modded Raptor be worth more, or would a pure stock Raptor be worth more? I know that any car or truck that is considered a club vehicle holds a stronger value. Very curious about this. What are your thoughts?

At this point in time, Ford has built so many specialty vehicles, and even other auto makers for that matter, that "revolutionized the truck market", it's a pretty safe bet to say that while yes it will hold it's value more than a regular f-150, it certainly won't increase in value at all from the day you drive it off the lot.

Come up with whatever justification you want too on configurations, doesn't matter if there were only half dozen 5.4L in blue flame with no nav and a moon roof or whatever wacky rare combiation you want to think of. It's not going to make it worth any more than the most common Raptor configuration for 2010. It's not like finding a '57 chevy in a freak factory color that they only made 2 of. It's analogous to saying a 00 lightning will be worth more than a 01 because less were made and they had less power...what the heck is more appealing about that? There's still 20+ thousand Lightnings driving around out there.

They will drop in value just like the Lightning. The garage queens will go for more, the ones that are used will be worth less.

The exact reference I was going to make. L's have been dead for 7+ years now. They're holding their value better than regular f-150's, but they're still dropping in value. I sold my 2004 Lightning last year with 48k on the clock for $15,800. Truck was absolutely mint.

As far as unique specialty trucks go, the L was similar to the Raptor. Different play grounds, similar in regards to niche markets. Same with SRT-10 viper trucks, only made for 3 years, all dropped in value. Same with 454 SS trucks. All holding values more than regular truck versions, but still dropped. But thats the same for anything. You buy the top model vehicle, it usually retains its value a bit more than the bare bones entry trim level version.

Same with HD trucks. I bought my second 00 HD two years ago with 898.3 miles on the clock for $18,000. The original owner bought it brand new in 2000 for $33k, and kept it in a climate controlled garage, radiant heated floors, a friggin time capsule essentially, only 898 miles on the clock in NINE years! I bought the truck for almost 1/2 of what he paid for it, driven the pants off it the last 2 years, it has 24,000 miles on it now, and I have it sold for $14,000.

Long story short, don't worry about keeping your truck in a bubble. ENJOY IT! By the time it'd be even worth its original MSRP, let alone a profit, you'll be long gone and didn't get to enjoy any of it lol

Mod it, keep the stock parts, have fun with it, still take care of it, and down the line when you're bored of it, return it to stock, get the best bang for your buck back selling mods and selling a stock truck, and move onto the next toy.

I get crazy looks all the time when my daily driver was either my 1st HD truck (~400 rwhp at that time, now 700+!), then my Gen 2 L, then my second 00 HD with only 898 on the clock, now a '12 Raptor on order....yes as Daily Drivers! And my fiance's DD is a 5.0 mustang. People always say I'm crazy driving them, get a cheap beater to drive around in. Well WTF, I spend way too much time in my vehicle to not enjoy driving it every second. Why let it sit in a garage or in a bubble? HAVE FUN WITH IT!

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mod it, keep the stock parts, have fun with it, still take care of it, and down the line when you're bored of it, return it to stock, get the best bang for your buck back selling mods and selling a stock truck, and move onto the next toy.

Yep!!! I would add if you run it off road get as many plates under it to stop the rocks form destroying the underneath too...

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yep!!! I would add if you run it off road get as many plates under it to stop the rocks form destroying the underneath too...

additional food for thought regarding modding....I kept all the stock parts off my street truck. I had it modded for a year, did a supercharger swap, lowered it, changed the grille, lights, etc. etc. Had the truck tentitvely sold for $15k as it sat. Couldn't really get much more for it being an 11 year old truck even with 24k miles. I said to myself stop being lazy, part the ***** out, I have all the stock parts anyway. I sold $6k worth of mods, and sold the truck for $14k back to bone stock. So for a couple weekends worth of work, I got an additional $5k out of my truck! :peace:

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
additional food for thought regarding modding....I kept all the stock parts off my street truck. I had it modded for a year, did a supercharger swap, lowered it, changed the grille, lights, etc. etc. Had the truck tentitvely sold for $15k as it sat. Couldn't really get much more for it being an 11 year old truck even with 24k miles. I said to myself stop being lazy, part the ***** out, I have all the stock parts anyway. I sold $6k worth of mods, and sold the truck for $14k back to bone stock. So for a couple weekends worth of work, I got an additional $5k out of my truck! :peace:
Very nice... I have followed your words without knowing you till here!!! lol

Badrap

FRF Addict
Reaction score
AMEN TO THAT!

If you are buying a raptor for an investment, then (IMO) you are buying it for the wrong reason.

Buy it, drive it, enjoy it!

EXACTLY! I'll buy another one before I sell this one. My boys will have to bury me in this or sell it to a Cars for Brats donation group.

OP
OP
RaptorAddict.com

RaptorAddict.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
AMEN TO THAT!

If you are buying a raptor for an investment, then (IMO) you are buying it for the wrong reason.

Buy it, drive it, enjoy it!

Well I'm definitely not gonna hold any value in 15 years. My truck will just get more and more modified for desert running. In time it will just become a hell of a trailer toy. Hopefully almost full on trophy. Good answers from everyone. Just curious what ya'll had to say. Went through my mind today and brought it up to Birdman.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Very nice... I have followed your words without knowing you till here!!! lol

lol what other forums, or what other trucks have you had? I'm normally "Harley#356" on every forum, but I figured it was time to change it up a little bit after a decade of that lol