Thought you guys might find this interesting, from Ford

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score

We should get this for free, considering how easy it seems to be for someone to break into our trucks!

Key Points​

• Canopy is a new smart security system for vehicles, particularly pickups and vans.
  • The Canopy company is a 60/40 joint venture between Ford and ADT.
  • Canopy was developed and nurtured in Ford's in-house startup incubator.

Ford Motor Company (NYSE:F) and ADT (NYSE:ADT) said they have formed a $105 million joint venture, called Canopy, to bring a new artificial intelligence (AI)-enabled vehicle security system to market.
ADT is a significant partner and its services are a key piece of the offering, but Ford will hold a majority stake in Canopy, which was developed in the automaker's in-house start-up incubator.
That makes it something of a big deal. Here's what we know.

Canopy: Like a doorbell camera for your truck​

The Canopy system is something like a doorbell camera, but for a vehicle. A camera and sensors on the vehicle allow the system to monitor the vehicle's surroundings. If the system detects a "credible threat," such as a potential thief or vandal, it will alert owners via a smartphone app.
The app allows owners to see and hear video and audio from the vehicle, to summon police if needed, and to talk to people near the vehicle via vehicle-mounted speakers, as shown in this video released by Ford.

Last edited:

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They will all be stolen by next year!!! This technology is old, c'mon Ford (and all manufacturers) for the price we pay for vehicles, they shouldn't be able to be stolen unless towed, not driven away, just stupid. Part of me thinks that manufacturers have known the threat but simply ignore it until their brand becomes a threat. Consumers are taxed to death and with vehicles being your 2nd most expensive purchase, it just continues to increase the cost for security (personally).

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just see another monthly service fee trying to grab my money
But it will be free for the first month...
Maybe 1/2 price for 3 months... :)

I'm not against the concept at all. I have a front and rear dashcam. The primary use cases are for driving related problems (I didn't cause). And for pics and vids I can pull when offroading. Much better image quality than running a go pro or something dash mounted.

A way down on the list use case is theft deterrence. I don't think it would do much for theft or vandal deterrence. And if someone was going to steal the truck, no deterrence there.

The cams interface with my phone but it is really clunky and is short range. I have the parking mode wired to my Aux battery in the bed so it doesn't draw down my main battery. For the system above, it would need to sip battery or be yet just another parasitic drain on the vehicle's battery.

I'd be interested in a do-all comprehensive security/dashcam system with remote monitoring, an option for managed service with a fee or just shared to my phone via an app and presumably cell service. It would have a kill switch, it's own stand by battery, shock sensor and siren I could choose to activate, 2 way talk... something like that. I don't know what's out in the market now.. I looked a couple of years ago and it seemed like the tech was getting there, but had a ways to go.

Trunk monkey - gold. Why haven't I seen that before?