This is why spacers are a bad idea. (And lots of cv axle innards pics)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Way back when, I installed the Truxxx leveling spacers into my 10k old Raptor. Here's the thread with all those details: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f9/i-leveled-front-truxxx-style-7617/

A couple months ago she turned over 40k, and I figured it was time for a pro to check 'er out. Here's what we found: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f5/40k-mile-suspension-checkup-binding-blown-shock-bent-frame-10550/

Last weekend, we set to removing them and moving up to the top perch instead. While we were at it, we took apart one of the CV axles, just to see... here's what we found :shocked:

P1000869.jpg

P1000871.jpg

P1000879.jpg

P1000881.jpg

P1000872.jpg

^^See that? Its supposed to be chrome, like this:
P1000874.jpg

That's a great tell tale sign that the spacers were creating a bind in my axles enough to generate some seriously high "applied load" heat. Thanks to these spacers, my suspension and axles have enough wear and tear on them to have come off a truck with 200k miles, not 40k.

And here's what the star looks like. See the wear? Not good.
P1000894.jpg

P1000895.jpg

The cage looks ok though, so I've got that going for me. :Grenade:
P1000885.jpg

I thought this was kind of funny lookin. Think our trucks are badass? Take a look at this:
P1000889.jpg

P1000890.jpg

That's a star from a trophy truck. Its modeled after a honest to goodness train part! Our cage won't even fit over the thing... its all relative, I guess ;)

Still not convinced spacers are a bad idea? Here, take a look at what the actual spacer itself looks like; not only are the 'wings' tweaked up (not shown in the pics) but you can actually see daylight thru the cracks!
P1000921.jpg

P1000922.jpg

And here's the opposite side, where you can see the paint being scraped off because its collapsing.
P1000923.jpg

So... still think spacers are a good idea? I've got a bridge I'd like to talk to you about... :crazy:

I don't regret going thru this though. We caught all this in time (mostly) and I consider it a good lesson learned; on paper, I still totally believe the theory behind why the spacers are a "good" idea. But in reality, nothing could be further from the truth. There's no way in the world I can recommend this mod to anyone, and instead I'd strongly suggest if you have a set installed, get them out of there before something fails catastrophically on the trail.

Last edited:

IRONMAN

Reaction score
Great write up J, for me I couldn't remove mine even if I wanted to.
I did the Daystar and you have to cut the shock bolts to put it on so I'd have to get new shocks in order to remove them.
Maybe I should have done the middle perch but I wanted to maintain the ride quality which it still feels exactly the same but just taller.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great write up J, for me I couldn't remove mine even if I wanted to.
I did the Daystar and you have to cut the shock bolts to put it on so I'd have to get new shocks in order to remove them.
Maybe I should have done the middle perch but I wanted to maintain the ride quality which it still feels exactly the same but just taller.

Didn't you only have to cut the mount bolts? You didn't cut the center shock rod bolt right.. If so, those are replaceable.. They should be a press in.. I have replaced them on other vehicles a few times...

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
J had to trim his, too. J, how did you resolve that?
Yep, if we're talking about the shock "cap", that's an easy fix. Just replace your cut ones with new ones from the dealership. Part number AL3Z-18A099-A and they run about $40ea (you'll need one per side).

Last edited:

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Bummer----I am glad you posted this. May save someone a very expensive tow charge lol. Just because someone makes it does not mean it is a good idea to use.

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
wow J im speechless its an awesome write up once again and you cant get any more informative than that thank god i decided to not get the spacers 6 months ago saves my ass some serious money:shocked:

vanilla_gorilla

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Damn BigJ, you need your own "corner" of the forums, like BDRAG. Call if

BigJ's Joint - How to's, How-Don'ts, and just because I'm BigJ!

I love reading your posts!

And your truck is looking great!!!!