this installers take on connections

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spectragod

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always buy butt connectors with brazed seams and 3m heat shrink connectors, while on the subject cross link wire is always recommended, if there is a short circuit, the wiring will burn in half instead of ignite your vehicle.

A lot of stuff is usually the installers choice/style, but some super good tips posted. I only have 30 years in the field of building police cars, so I have picked up and created my own tips over the years, what’s posted is solid advice, you can get creative based on your own install.

JoeSC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happened to have an issue with fitting a smaller wire into a butt connector. Don’t forget, you can fold the wire on itself to thicken it up for a crimp in a pinch.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
4ga and larger ring terminals can be fun. if you dont have this
View attachment 158623 View attachment 158624
then you arent out of luck. you can use your handy klein crimpers, or equivelent. first step is to crimp it down then i crimp it sideways

View attachment 158625

View attachment 158626
this has worked for me very well . you just need to make sure you get a lot of force on it

View attachment 158627

Never seen anyone crimp a terminal like that and don't believe that's the intened design but if it's worked for you then great.

OP
OP
The Car Stereo Company

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never seen anyone crimp a terminal like that and don't believe that's the intened design but if it's worked for you then great.
i lost my larger crimper one day many years back and had nothing to use to crimp a 4ga terminal. so i somwhow stumbled across crimping the connector like that after a few failed attempts. constant experimenting led to finding that out and it has worked really well.