this installers take on connections

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
The Car Stereo Company

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i usually start with the insulation crimp first. but it doesnt matter where you start. its easier for me this way thoughIMG_20201224_132559.jpg then i crimp the smaller prongs onto the wireIMG_20201224_132638.jpg depending on you connector, you may or may not have a waterproof rubber seal. mine does.IMG_20201224_133301.jpg IMG_20201224_133309.jpg
then just slide it into the molex plug

as requested, heres a little more info on theopen barrel connectors. (duetsch/molex/weatherpack)

when using these crimpers and the types of connections, make sure you test fit befor actually crimping. the pin has flared metal tabs that form a "V". one where it crimps the wire (he smaller tabs) for connection and one where the tabs lock the insulation (the larger tabs) of the wire. place it in the crimper and check fitment to see which one you will want to use.IMG_20201226_105310.jpg place the pin in the crimpers so it looks like this. you will see the tabs on the pin touch the part of the crimpers where it starts to narrowIMG_20201226_105539.jpg as you crimp down on the pin, the tabs start to curl over. below you can see as it hits the end of the crimper. the shape of the crimper will force the tabs to the right shapeView attachment 158727IMG_20201226_105545.jpg
here it is fully crimped.
IMG_20201226_105602.jpg

when crimping the end of the pin, the tabs that cut into the insulation of the wire, its the same process
IMG_20201226_105638.jpg the tabs get bent inwardIMG_20201226_105647.jpg and then the shape of the crimpers force the tabs overIMG_20201226_105724.jpg and finally doneIMG_20201226_105731.jpg since there is no wire in the pin, it did not shape perfectly since there was nothing there to provide the resistance for the pin to crimp around. it kinda caved in on itself. if there was a wire there, it would have been perfect shape. however i cant hold the pin, the wire, the crimpers and the camera all at the same time. i will try to find some help and repost a picture, however in the above post yoi can see it

here is a close up of the crimpers i use. pay close attention to the shape and how the pins are set in when you crimpIMG_20201226_105329.jpg and a shot of the entire toolIMG_20201226_150034.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
The Car Stereo Company

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i wont go over t taps and such as they are a last resort type of connection. however i have to be honest, i have a couple t taps in my truck and im too lazy to fix it.

the biggest thing to do to prevent the connection from going bad is to secure the connection so it does not vibrate, shake, etc.

even with these connection done right, if it is not secured, it will fail. every connection posted, will fail on either side of the connection. not where its connected, but where the wire meets the connection. what happens to metal when you bend it back and forth multiple times? same situation, just will take longer, so no matter what connection type you use, secure it and you wont have any issues

OP
OP
The Car Stereo Company

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d like to suggest this detailed write-up be made into a sticky so we can quickly refer to it when needed.

Thanks to nosbusa for taking the time to put this together. We will all benefit!
@Big Blue

can we make this a sticky in the respective audio sub forums ( copy to gen 1 / gen 2 sections )

@The Car Stereo Company
Many and profound thanks for taking the time to illustrate and describe this.
i appreciate the positive feedback. over the years of being an installer you come up with your own techniques for wiring. with so many questions about wiring and which connection is better than the other, i figured i would share what i know and how i do it.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i appreciate the positive feedback. over the years of being an installer you come up with your own techniques for wiring. with so many questions about wiring and which connection is better than the other, i figured i would share what i know and how i do it.

I've made it a sticky here. If you copy/paste to the audio section on the Gen 2 section, I will make it a sticky there too. Thanks for the contribution. :cheers:

Mariners Fan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good info there, thanks! I've got a bunch of new lighting and some stuff I bought a while back that I haven't been home long enough to install and this'll come in handy.