Third Tail Light Wiring Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrwizard93

Reaction score
I just bought the smoked third tail light from cjponyparts.com for my 2012 Raptor. The rep recommended that light to me so I did not notice that the page for that product said:

"*This third brake light can also be used on 2010-2014 F-150 Raptors, but requires different wiring as it is not the same as standard F150 wiring."

It looks nice, I just need to figure out how to properly wire the brake light wire from my truck that has a a 3 prong female adapter to the one on the unit that has just two (red and black).

The webpage for the product has people asking questions about it but no one gives an example of how to wire it. I would experiment on my own but am concerned that I would mess up the light somehow.

I can imagine that someone has already gone through this.

Thanks for the help!
Cesar

Riddick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If someone doesn’t beat me to the punch, I have the wiring diagrams (I’m currently at work). I’ll look it up and tell you what the stock wires are. I have a ‘14, but can’t imagine the wiring is any different.

OP
OP
M

mrwizard93

Reaction score
Thank you for the information but I am still confused as to how to wire it. It should be pretty simple but like I mentioned, I don't want to mess anything up (new light or truck). I was hoping someone else already went through this and was able to figure it out.

The wires from the light are just two plugs like file I uploaded that's from the product page. It would work if the plugs were from the regular 2012 F150 that I read has the plugs shown in the second image I uploaded. My 2012 Raptor has a different plug for the red rear tail light which is the third image i uploaded. The guy from that site looks to have used only two of the wires but did not say which ones.

The best way to pose my question is, if there are 3 wires coming from the truck to the new light that has only two wires for the brakes, do I splice one of the wires from the light to two wires from the truck, and if so, which ones? If not all three wires, which wires should I be connecting to my new light.

Sorry that I did not upload pictures of my own. It's been a busy weekend.

Thanks for the help!

140708_4.3669.jpg

Install-Ford-F150-LED-Third-Brake-Light-05.jpg

Install-Ford-F150-LED-Third-Brake-Light-04.jpg

OP
OP
M

mrwizard93

Reaction score
I was able to get it to work yesterday. The Reverse light was a simple plug in and go. The way I did the connection to the Red Tail Light was by just flipping out the two wire leads on the plug from the new LED light that are on either side of plug and inserting them into the red and white slots in the plug from the plug from the truck. Seems to have worked fine.

Hopes this helps someone out

MotoMel

Reaction score
I was able to get it to work yesterday. The Reverse light was a simple plug in and go. The way I did the connection to the Red Tail Light was by just flipping out the two wire leads on the plug from the new LED light that are on either side of plug and inserting them into the red and white slots in the plug from the plug from the truck. Seems to have worked fine.

Hopes this helps someone out
So did you plug red to red and black to white? What color wire coming from the new light to exactly what color on your truck? My kit came with a 2 long pin connector that is red and black. But the truck has three holes in the stock plug? Red white and black