Thinking of changing wheels and going to AT's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys, currently setup with 17" black Raceline wheels and 37x12.50 BFG KM3's. Debating maybe going to like a General Grabber ATX or a Cooper AT3 XLT. My last couple sets of cheap/knock off tires has not been all that great (Iron Man All Country M/T on my Limited, and Iron Man iMove Gen 2 on my Flex) as far as balance issues. I put a set of the Cooper AT3 XLT on some 15" wheels on a Ranger and really liked how they look and rode. Super quiet. Love the looks of M/T's but also feel they are overkill for a truck mostly on the street and long trips. Thinking of switching to a black/tan wheel also to go more with the Terrain color. Should I potentially go to a 37x13.50? Thanks!

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Any 37 is really overkill for a "mostly on the street and long trips" truck :) The at3 is a good choice, the load range d with all that sidewall will ride nice, and are quiet. They are 10 lbs/tire lighter than what you are running now and if you go to the 13.50 atx they go up to 73 lbs which is about the same as what you have and become a load range e which will be a sacrifice. The ATX has a little higher speed rating, (106 mph vs 99). BFG ko2 would be worth looking at if your into high speed stuff.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Any 37 is really overkill for a "mostly on the street and long trips" truck :) The at3 is a good choice, the load range d with all that sidewall will ride nice, and are quiet. They are 10 lbs/tire lighter than what you are running now and if you go to the 13.50 atx they go up to 73 lbs which is about the same as what you have and become a load range e which will be a sacrifice. The ATX has a little higher speed rating, (106 mph vs 99). BFG ko2 would be worth looking at if your into high speed stuff.
Oh I agree 37's are overkill. lol I used to really like the KO2's, but these days I think they are too expensive for what they are and what other options we have now. I'm also curious about durability of an A/T v.s. the M/T's. I'd imagine they should really be about the same though. I'm not sure if it's worth going to the 13.50's though either.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did some more reading around. It sounds like it's quite a bit of work to make the 13.50's work without issues. Besides the usual stuff (top perch, removing the wheel well liners, trimming the front bumper valance, etc.) it sounds like you will need wider fenders along with trimming them, hammering the pinch welds, and trimming the firewall area. That's a crapload of work to go from the 12.50's to the 13.50's, so it sounds like I'll just stick to the 12.50's.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looking at the Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT for tires. They are 9 pounds per tire lighter than my current BFG KM3's. The KO2's are rated about identical as the AT3's and about the same price as well, but I've also heard some people say they don't like them. I put a set of 31x11.50x15 on a 95 Ranger that just went to California and back from Iowa and the owner said they rode awesome and were incredibly quiet, plus I think they look really good.

copvld_ang_l.jpg

For wheels I want to stick with a 17" for sure, but I'm thinking it would be cool to go to a tan or bronze/black wheel. Everyone out there runs black, and I was thinking for my Terrain truck a tan or bronze would be really cool. Thinking something like this would be pretty cool.

vision-ojos-350-wheel-8lug-bronze-black-lip-17x9-500_2723.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Put the order in today for the BFG T/A KO2's in 37x12.50x17 along with the Vision Ojos in 17x9 +12 in color bronze with black lip. I'll be pulling the TPMS sensors out of my current wheels and re-using the lug nuts as well since I've already got aftermarket wheels on the truck. I ordered 5 of each so that way I've got a full size spare as well.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Got the wheels and tires taken care of today. It's nice now having a full size spare. I wish I would have gone to this setup sooner. It's quite surprising how much nicer it rides along with being quieter as well. Also, acceleration and stopping is improved due to the A/T's weighing less. I'll post some pictures after I get a chance to get her cleaned up again.