Thinking about switching up from Grabber Red Letters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

keatonskidmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey would you use 37" grabbers non DOT tires?
How bad could it be?
How often do you need to replace them?
How easy is to get a blown tire on a 37" non dot tire?

I will use my truck for work. It takes no more than 10 min driving @ 50mph
Whenever i go to panama city from where i live is 180milles travel distances @ 60 to 70mph

I'm pretty sure the non DOT tires get flat spots in them.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welp, I settled on the Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs in the OEM size (315x70R17). I was looking real hard at the BFG 37", but then it donned on me that even if the truck went up in the air another 1/2", I wouldn't fit in my garage. So there went that idea.

And having some experience with the OEM BFGs, I knew what to expect which (as we all know) leaves room for improvement.

The Falken's looked very interesting. But the 15lb difference between them and the Duratracs was hard to ignore (Falkens are 75ish lbs, Duratracs are 60ish lbs).

So that's where I landed. I ordered them, they came in and were installed yesterday.

Thanks for all the help ya'll!

keatonskidmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Great choice! And yes the weight difference is very nice and noticeable. Let us know how they work for you!

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeap, nitrogen is more dense than air. So doesnt go trough the thick rubber as the air does easily

I can tell you really believe in this. And although ther is a small amount of truth it is not much. The air you breathe is already 78% Nitrogen. So filling a tire after mounting would take a lot of time to purge and refill to get the Nitrogen levels up. It will never be 100% nitrogen unless you fill them in a room that has had all the air sucked out and created a vacuum. So lets say you get 90% nitrogen. Nitrogen molecules are slightly larger than the other molecules in the air we breathe how ever it is 78% nitrogen already. I had a guy do an experiment and test 2 sets of 4 tires over a 2 year period. One filled with compressed air, the other filled with about 90% Nitrogen. After 2 years the pressure difference was about 5 pounds. The biggest mistake consumers are lead to is that Nitrogen filling means you dont have to check the air pressure of tires. This is a huge mistake as the tire does need more air. The most common mistake made is people under inflate there tires. This results in more heat build up and premature wear on the tires, also lower fuel mileage. Nitrogen filling is a gimmick, created to sell nitrogen. The only time you see any real benefits is in race cars that need to have greater control of tire temperatures. Flat spotting created or eliminated because of haveing or not having nitrogen is a myth. Regular checking of tire pressures and making sure your tires are in the recomended tire pressure range is the most critical issue. If you buy after market tires go to there web site and look to see what the guy that designed the tire says it is suppose to be. I have seen people talk about Nitto tires and running a 35X12.50X20 as low as 35 psi. This is dangerous and wasting tires and fuel. Read the specification the guy that designed the tire says it is 65 PSI... Let the guy who went to college and engineering school and learned what it takes to make a tire tell you, then do what you want... But nitrogen itself is nothing more than a gimick in passenger car tires....

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As I understand it, the benefits of nitrogen are not related to flat spots, static tire pressure monitoring or frequency of filling. Rather, 'pure' nitrogen (within this context) does not expand when heated. What this means is you end up with a tire that doesn't balloon up, after its been rolling for a dozen or two miles like the same tire would if filled with regular compressed air.

The net effect of that lack of expansion means less uneven tire wear since the tire stays at its optimal pressure throughout the temperature range.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's all there is to it.

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No, that's correct... The flat spots have more to do with the compound and tire construction, regardless of what inflation method is used.

Only tire I've heard this can be really noticeable on, is the BFG Projects...