Thinking About Selling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bwdilli

Reaction score
No this isn't an advertisement for my truck.

I've been thinking about selling my 2018 802a race red Raptor with just under 55k on the odometer. Reason being is I think it will never be a better market than now. I'm not looking to get into something else as I have other vehicles already.

I've got a accessories like lights, tune, lock box, bed box, bed cover that I'd end up removing and selling separately. Figure that wouldn't add anything to the sell price of the truck.

Anyone done this recently? What were your experiences? Better to just sell to a dealer outright or is it worth the hassle for a private sale?

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Depends mine has 35k miles and latest cash out value I received is 56k. I paid less than that for it when I bought it 18 months ago with 20k miles.

If I was to put it on Autotrader I would ask upper 60s for it since you can always come down. Whichever way you go now is a good time to sell a used Raptor.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do think the peak has passed, but the values are still up for Gen2s, in part becasue there's not much noticeable improvement in Gen3. I sold my 2018 802a with 44k miles to a deler here for $62k in late July. Could have gotten $64 for it in June. Ended up buying a 2013 M5 with 34k miles to try and ride this distortion out for a year or so and then buy back in. If the Raptor R is out by then, or if it is absurdly expensive, I may get another Gen2.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
True values are still high just not what they were a few months or weeks ago. Still Gen 2s with low miles selling in the 65-70k range which is crazy in my book

Dancam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
theres nothing to buy . Ford/GM/Crysler are closing factories and the chip shortage on ease up before 2023. You'll make 5k by selling now but you'll overpay by 5k- 10k to buy anything else. If you sell and dont need to buy before 2023 you are making money but only if you dont need a car. Market is stupid and theres a serious supply problem.

Raptorbegone

Reaction score
I do think the peak has passed, but the values are still up for Gen2s, in part becasue there's not much noticeable improvement in Gen3. I sold my 2018 802a with 44k miles to a deler here for $62k in late July. Could have gotten $64 for it in June. Ended up buying a 2013 M5 with 34k miles to try and ride this distortion out for a year or so and then buy back in. If the Raptor R is out by then, or if it is absurdly expensive, I may get another Gen2.
this guy gets it.

And cool *** ride in the M5 too. love those things

Raptorbegone

Reaction score
I'd sell my 17 if it weren't such a pain in the ***. Sure I can get more than I paid for it. But I still need some sort of vehicle, and prices are up across the board, and I happen to dig it. I'm just not a fanboy.

so other than driving something different, when all is said and done the money I'd be making is negligible, so why bother.

OP
OP
B

bwdilli

Reaction score
Like I said in my original post, I'm not looking to get into something else. I have other vehicles. Was wondering what everyone else was seeing as far as current market.

Figure I'd cash out towards the top. Then later after this settles down with all the chip shortages and Covid, I might get back into another Raptor.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s hard to time the market. With anything. Usually with sales tax and the next one being more expensive you’ll still lose. That’s the game.