Thinking about getting a tuner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
So after 55,000 hard miles, I am finally tossing around the idea of getting a tuner. I've been a little leery of tuners since my last truck (06 Cummins). I did 100 hp on that truck, and destroyed the tranny. 5,000 bucks later and I had a billet tranny, 180hp tune, then came a better lift pump, injectors, etc, etc... Although it was cool having an 8000lb truck that could beat most sports cars in my town while getting 25 mpg...

I really dont want to get in that game again. But I would like better throttle response and things of that nature though. So who makes the best tune for the 5.4L? Anyone that has it notice any tranny problems? I am not expecting mileage gains. I drive way too hard for that.

I'd like to get everyones opinion on who makes the best tuner, how it runs on their truck, etc, etc...

Thanks,

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So after 55,000 hard miles, I am finally tossing around the idea of getting a tuner. I've been a little leery of tuners since my last truck (06 Cummins). I did 100 hp on that truck, and destroyed the tranny. 5,000 bucks later and I had a billet tranny, 180hp tune, then came a better lift pump, injectors, etc, etc... Although it was cool having an 8000lb truck that could beat most sports cars in my town while getting 25 mpg...

I really dont want to get in that game again. But I would like better throttle response and things of that nature though. So who makes the best tune for the 5.4L? Anyone that has it notice any tranny problems? I am not expecting mileage gains. I drive way too hard for that.

I'd like to get everyones opinion on who makes the best tuner, how it runs on their truck, etc, etc...

Thanks,

I have SCT tuner from 5 Star... Been great for me... Comes with 3 tunes I have 87 econ, 87 tow and 93 performance

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like we're of like minds Trey. I'm interested in a tuner for the same reasons, and I have the same concerns.

Subscribed...

OP
OP
treypal

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
I have SCT tuner from 5 Star... Been great for me... Comes with 3 tunes I have 87 econ, 87 tow and 93 performance

Do they have an 87 octane performance tune? Or is that reserved for 93?

Also, once a year I am in colorado where some times all you can find is 85. How does that work with tuners?

RV67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do they have an 87 octane performance tune? Or is that reserved for 93?

Also, once a year I am in colorado where some times all you can find is 85. How does that work with tuners?

Trey - I just bought a tuner last week,but I have the 6.2.Yes they have an 87 performance as stated earlier which is what Im running now.I also bought miine from 5 star as they carry sct and have heard nothing but good from both.

No there isnt any trans issues.It feels better,I dont feel like Im running in town @ 35mph in 6th gear.

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've got a SCT tuner from 5-Star with three tunes (87-perf/tow, 89-perf/tow, 93-perf/tow).

Noticed better shifting with the 87 tune (not a whole lot on the performance side), but much greater performance with the 93 tune.

Engine is the 5.4L and a Roush CAI.

Hell even my wife noticed a huge difference in the way the truck drives, she said it feels more alive and I agree 100%.

No tranny issues or 4x4 issues that I have come across.

According to the truck computer I am getting 13.4 mpg (city), this includes deep sand beach driving.

CanadianEH

Reaction score
its worth giving 5star tuning a call to talk to "Mike" and you'll be convinced on getting a tune.

5star tune - (843) 250-0499

5star

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
thanks guys for the support, I would be more than happy to help any way i can .
Give us a call
thanks
Mike

ps We also have our Labor Day sale on that saves some bucks.

Atticus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I just ordered my tuner/afe combo kit from Mike today at 5 Star with an 87 hp and 93 hp tune. In looking over all the related posts regarding this decision, I still have a couple of questions:
1. Will the tuning affect the off road mode, and, if so, how?
2. Will the addition of the CAI negatively affect my factory warranty in any way?
Let me know your thoughts when you have time. Thanks.