thinking about a dash cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
couple more updates:

1. Time issue - figured it out, you can synchronize to satellite, but if you do, it defaults to some time zone around Korea is my guess. Turn that off, and while not dedicated to the second, at least it's on the right day/hour
2. mounting. - I think I have it mounted just perfect now - no wobbles, and it doesn't see the radar detector to it's left.
3. hard wire - still need to do this, but make sure you wire it to a switched circuit - if the power doesn't kill on it when you turn off the truck, it will not go into standby mode which is annoying
4. display - you can turn this off, which is good because at night it's really distracting.

pics of mount:

A4D1E2F7-4B77-4BAB-8C17-D0B4C0433E10_zpsql6bfdhb.jpg

38AF8E7F-BFAC-4F54-8F6C-35DAF0AFEBCD_zpsmfyqf3nn.jpg

1070E519-5815-4A32-8715-FD72DA36ED17_zpsrbdkwchf.jpg

beemerman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
used mine this weekend on my jeep. works ok. but I have the wobble where did you add the tape. at the mount point of the camera to the mount? also it says maximum of a 32 sd card. only had a 64 and would not download to super car. gonna try and 32 later.

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
used mine this weekend on my jeep. works ok. but I have the wobble where did you add the tape. at the mount point of the camera to the mount? also it says maximum of a 32 sd card. only had a 64 and would not download to super car. gonna try and 32 later.

I used the same tape I use to fix iPhone 4 models, it's a really thin 3M tape, and I leave the top cover on it so it slides into the mount. I cut it to fit the channel and it solves the problem perfectly

pic below.

also - the DataKAM software is way better than SuperCar.

2440465B-8248-4430-AA35-8A7389440247_zps5iq66hsc.jpg

D

Deleted member 12951

I went with the LS300w. It was about $180 after shipping. I'll post up a video from it once it's here, and I'll use it at Snoball.

What made you decide on that one? I was thinking of getting the GoPro. The white one is only $199 so not much difference in price.

OP
OP
blockdoc

blockdoc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What made you decide on that one? I was thinking of getting the GoPro. The white one is only $199 so not much difference in price.

Reading all those reviews and watching the videos, many of which compared them head to head. Especially this link that amphibian posted:

Edit: Here is another review site I found in my favorites.

The LS300 consistently had video that I thought looked better than the others. The only thing the reviewers could really dock it for was being new & largely untested for reliability. It's literally on a slow boat from China to get here though.

I didn't want a GoPro, because mine will be used for more than just events. I want it for day to day use, to record the idiot drivers around me. I've actually contacted the transportation cabinet and the county judge executive, begging for a center rumble strip. You can't imagine the number of vehicles I encounter on the wrong side of the road, being lazy around curves. Photos would help my argument.

We also have an inordinate number of traffic stop points here. I like the encounters to be recorded to help ensure the preservation and protection of my liberty.

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have three gopros, but they really aren't setup for dash cam usage (GPS, time stamp, roll over). Plus in the car they seem to make a huge theft target, normal dash cams not so much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mprice1234

Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
Hp f210

We open our Christmas presents on Christmas eve and I got the HP F210 for Christmas (laid out a few hints) quality looks nice and really compact! I can't wait to try it out for both a daily drive camera and to record off-road fun.

Gilligan

Reaction score
The problem is its kinda pointed down to much

eh I would be fine with it, from the end of my driveway I can see my neighbors roof and I feel you'd be able to tell if someone brake checked you or came at you with a baseball bat from their car or something. Not perfect I will admit but it would be so much easier and more convenient it's about the only way I could see myself having a "dash" cam.

Plus I feel we'd get a LOT raptor youtube vids popping up!

Last edited: