thinking about a dash cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blockdoc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've been considering picking up a dash cam already, largely due to a lot of idiot drivers around here. I like the idea of being able to record in the interior as well, but maybe not all the time. I was considering this:

BlackVue - Full HD 1080p Dash Cameras with GPS

If I wanted to record inside the vehicle, I could rotate the cylinder to point inside (say at a traffic stop, for example). They have a dual channel option, but the resolution isn't as good, and I don't really want to wire a 2nd camera for something I wouldn't always want to use.

Or I could get a dual channel like this one:

VC-250 Dash Cam with GPS | Dash Cam Outlet

Anybody have any experience with these? I realize a GoPro will do a better job for runs, but this will be used all the time, not just for runs and fun.

amphibian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This might be interesting to you. I was pretty hot on the blackview until I saw that. The HP might be a decent cam but odds are it's still made in china or south korea, the biggest question for it is going to be how is the software that comes with it.

Edit: Here is another review site I found in my favorites.

Last edited:

beemerman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I got it thru costco. They give you a 90 day return policy. I will test this for the Snoball. If it does not meet my expectations I will simply return it. Then on to the next one. That's a good article. Lots of good info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
OP
blockdoc

blockdoc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This might be interesting to you. I was pretty hot on the blackview until I saw that. The HP might be a decent cam but odds are it's still made in china or south korea, the biggest question for it is going to be how is the software that comes with it.

Edit: Here is another review site I found in my favorites.

Thanks! I just spent almost 2 hours reading & watching sample videos. Those links talked me out of the Blackvue I was seriously considering. I don't like the pixelated videos.

The LS300 looks very good. I think I'm going to go with that. The VicoVation has good video, but it looks huge.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have used 5 of these so far and video quality at best is only good no gopro grade video... I have used Amazon.com: BOOMYOURS 2.7" TFT 270°Rotating Dual Camera Lens HD Car DVR Vehicle Blackbox DVR with G-sensor & GPS Module & SD Slot: Car Electronics
This worked well and had the least issues with a decent picture it has been moved to the company work van and works well in it.

Amazon.com: New R300 2.7" 140° Dual Lens Dash Board Camera Car HD DVR Black Box Video Recorder + GPS Logger: Car Electronics

I used this one and with in one week the mount broke and it was hard to get stabilized the picture was poor and so it went back

Amazon.com: HD 720P 2.5-inch LCD Monitor CAR Dash Dashboard CAMERA Cam VEHICLE VIDEO Accident RECORDER DVR Support SD/MMC Memory Card : Up to 64GB: Car Electronics

I used this one about 2 months it was the best of the cheap stuff and for less than 30 bucks it did what it was suppose to. Video was not to bad and better than on some more expensive cameras. After about 6 months it finally failed I think from heat in the truck. The manufacturer says they have that issue resolved but I did not order a replacement.

Amazon.com: MINI HD 720P CAR CAMCORDER SINGLE LENS IR CAMERA 4GB VIDEO RECORDER DVR CAM 2.0 " TFT LCD MONITOR: Everything Else

This one failed out of the box I did not order a replacement and returned it never having the chance to actually test it.

Amazon.com: iVUE Dash Cam 720P HD 2.7" LCD Car Camera Dashboard Vehicle Video Recorder Accident Camcorder (Mirror Style): Car Electronics

This I still have and it is working the most expensive of the ones I tried and works well the picture is good and replay is easy. It can handle a 64G memory so I get a lot of recording before its full.. It can be set to auto record over the oldest recordings when its full. It mounts on your mirror is one of the better mounts as it a more discreete mount and less noticeable of all the ones I tested....

OP
OP
blockdoc

blockdoc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I went with the LS300w. It was about $180 after shipping. I'll post up a video from it once it's here, and I'll use it at Snoball.

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just ordered the new HP one (finally a brand I recognized), it was around 180, should be getting it tomorrow from Costco.

here's the link:

HP Dash Camera by Rear View Safety

got mine last night. you can definitely tell HP made this for the Asian/Russian market. Build quality is nice, comes with a heavy duty suction cup that has two ball adjustors on it. Cig lighter adaptor, no hardware, but that's easily solved. Takes Micro SD, has Mini USB and HDMI (!) output on it.

I'm going to fire it up this morning for my whopping 2 mile commute, will have video/comments later today.