Think I blew up my front diff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really don't think that...just not sure about a complicated truck that some of us really get into the nuts and bolts...:)
Raptor dummy is what I meant. Gotta start by asking the dumb questions sometimes.

OP
OP
Turbogoat324

Turbogoat324

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I told them exactly what I told you guys. I wasn’t ever planning to lie. I didn’t feel like I was abusing it so I feel there is nothing to worry about. And also I don’t imagine this is a common problem. Seems like a fluke. Having said that they called me today and said the shop foreman was looking into everything that needs replacement but so far they found a cracked diff housing and a broken front driveshaft. Service writer said he’d call tomorrow and let me know more. Front Diff is for sure going to be in the shop for a while :(. Oh well. Could have been worse I suppose.

Sernas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My old TJ Rubicon never locked the front first ever. It was just like my JK Rubicon, rear only or both in 4 low unless you did the locker mod. TJ rear locker was limited slip until locked front was either locked or unlocked. JK Rubicon was electric non limited slip front and rear.

LOL ok, well..Right back at you. o_O What year is your Jeep? Rubi model has changed things over the years..
I have a 2006 model that had different lockers. First, my rear is a limited slip. It's called a mechanical-helical gear limited slip...doesn't mean it 'locked up'.. it didn't have the normal spider gear setup and was able to vector the output. Info was also according to the factory spec and manual. They were also air lockers ( which rumored to be made by ARB as they operated identically to - but worked on 7 PSI instead of the 15-20)
And finally, yes, the front went on first and could be on only. How i know this? Well, driving it, reading the manual, and oh yeah..when I re-wired the factory switch to put rear on first. The newer more chinese E locs you guys got work differently and may not have the fancy limited slip the TJ/LJ's had.
I don't agree with having to lock front first, and this is prob why they changed it as nobody really knows how to steer a locked axle well. This is also why I changed it... in part cause I wanted it send out rear end while blasting around soft ground and flat areas, but mostly didn't like how the front went on first.
That's when Jeep still had the inline 6 and domestic dana 44's and not the imports.

I totally agree with this. This is the correct way to use lockers. Seen/heard way too many breaks cause people can't control the skinny while locked or just trying to gun it thru.

To OP's defense tho, our raptors don't lock the front or use the braking method of locking loose wheel (do they? ) I know it's a torson, which thought is a type of limited slip...? I've only used 4 lo few times as I've done tons in my jeep.

there's a weak point in Fords design, our OP had front tires jammed and turned. :console:W/ 500+ lbs of force, can build up rather quickly.
It's ok, Ford should fix no prob.--Ford still advertises the shit out of our truck as the badest offroad and can't turn back now.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I told them exactly what I told you guys. I wasn’t ever planning to lie. I didn’t feel like I was abusing it so I feel there is nothing to worry about. And also I don’t imagine this is a common problem. Seems like a fluke. Having said that they called me today and said the shop foreman was looking into everything that needs replacement but so far they found a cracked diff housing and a broken front driveshaft. Service writer said he’d call tomorrow and let me know more. Front Diff is for sure going to be in the shop for a while :(. Oh well. Could have been worse I suppose.

Meh, other than being out of a raptor for a bit, what’s wrong w/ keeping miles off it driving a loaner F150 & getting your Raptor back w/ a whole new set of front drive components for free? I wouldn’t sweat it one bit, if anything I’d be happy- maybe there was some weak point/manufacturing error in YOUR front diff, no you got a new one!

OP
OP
Turbogoat324

Turbogoat324

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s true but they never give loners. They always say I have to go through insurance. I’ve been ubering to work which is a bit inconvenient but luckily I don’t work too far.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Meh, other than being out of a raptor for a bit, what’s wrong w/ keeping miles off it driving a loaner F150 & getting your Raptor back w/ a whole new set of front drive components for free? I wouldn’t sweat it one bit, if anything I’d be happy- maybe there was some weak point/manufacturing error in YOUR front diff, no you got a new one!

Yep, I like to trail test my loaners if I get a 4x4 model.

2018-09-07 17.43.27.jpg 2018-09-07 17.43.42.jpg

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My old TJ Rubicon never locked the front first ever. It was just like my JK Rubicon, rear only or both in 4 low unless you did the locker mod. TJ rear locker was limited slip until locked front was either locked or unlocked. JK Rubicon was electric non limited slip front and rear.
Yup. I still own an '03 TJ Rubicon, and you are correct on all accounts stated above.

I blew up my rear limited slip, so now I have a true ARB. I guess the goodies that make it limited slip also make it weaker and more prone to blowing up. Lame. I rather liked having a limited slip when not locked.

highway420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s true but they never give loners. They always say I have to go through insurance. I’ve been ubering to work which is a bit inconvenient but luckily I don’t work too far.
If it's under warranty, they are supposed to give a rental. At least my dealer says that and always asks when doing warranty repair. My dealer stopped doing loaners while ago and work with enterprise down the street. You should go back and make sure, it's going to be a few days they should

highway420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup. I still own an '03 TJ Rubicon, and you are correct on all accounts stated above.

I blew up my rear limited slip, so now I have a true ARB. I guess the goodies that make it limited slip also make it weaker and more prone to blowing up. Lame. I rather liked having a limited slip when not locked.
wow, ok. wrong again for me. Maybe the fact I have the LJ it was different. doubt it. or factory messed up, also doubt. I just remember it being little backwards. Maybe I wanted the front alone once in awhile back then.

think I'm backwards. My Jeep is no longer a Jeep and I'm forgetting more and more about it's stock form.

Still think that something was not right for a LSD front to snap driveshaft/housing. Good luck and go get a rental from them!