Think I blew up my front diff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Well then, probably best not to tell the service guy you were ******* your truck on some rocks. If you picked up the broken off piece, don't take it with you. lol

waveslayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my front diff blow up on me. Took 3 weeks to get it fixed because they don't just replace the diff it's a whole unit, front CV joints etc.. so that will be nice. Mine exploded from the inside out. Have any pictures?

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

OP
OP
Turbogoat324

Turbogoat324

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well then, probably best not to tell the service guy you were ******* your truck on some rocks. If you picked up the broken off piece, don't take it with you. lol

there is no way anything would have hit the input shaft on the front driveshaft. It’s up under skid plates and above the way. There also weren’t any crazy rocks. On the trail

OP
OP
Turbogoat324

Turbogoat324

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my front diff blow up on me. Took 3 weeks to get it fixed because they don't just replace the diff it's a whole unit, front CV joints etc.. so that will be nice. Mine exploded from the inside out. Have any pictures?

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

oh ok that’s cool to know! I didn’t take any unfortunately. I was really upset at the time!

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
there is no way anything would have hit the input shaft on the front driveshaft. It’s up under skid plates and above the way. There also weren’t any crazy rocks. On the trail

Hey, I believe you. I just wouldn't go blabbing about it at the service dept.

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I haven't heard a bunch of front diff failures, BUT I do know the aluminum diff cases don't like heavy loads in reverse...like pulling someone out going backwards...

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When you bring into the dealer, provide them with the same information. The situation you described does not indicate abuse or neglect. You're better off being honest instead of saying something like "I was backing out of my driveway and then...". That is a red flag, since damage like that won't occur without significant torque being applied to the powertrain.

highway420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, you bought a very expensive off-road truck that was advertised to go hard off road. I agree with being honest also... to a point. just give basics, you don't have a ton of scratches under, right? so just tell them, was on an easy trail, in 4 lo, like the manual says...

Funny, literally, as I am writing this, Ford just called to get me to trade in my 18 for whatever.. Going in Saturday to see what they would give me for mine and what they ask for a new one... with a V8! haha kidding. But will find out what that ask for 20.