Things to look for on a test drive - Used 2017 Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Simplejack

Full Access Member
Reaction score

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This was very helpful as I went and looked at the three today. Thanks for assistance all!

The Ruby Red was my favorite, 24k, Carfax showed mostly dealer oil changes (some missing so maybe jiffy lube), and seemed by all accounts to be a rock solid truck. Was able to listen to ice cold startup (was able to touch the block after feeling for radiating heat), and what I heard at start up did NOT sound like marbles in a can, so I guess that's good. No signs of any IWE trouble based on smurfslayer's description. What I did notice as I did a rolling hard start from a stop (not tire spinning, just ease off the line, then floor it) was a bit of a hard shift late in the rev range. Happened twice, at two different points in the acceleration curve, out of maybe 6 runs during the test drive.

I didn't actually lay on the ground, but kneeling down on the ground I couldn't see the oil pan at all. Saw the front diff and lots of the other components, but could not see the oil pan itself. Anyway, the truck was out on the lot and had been sitting for a while, I didn't see any signs of an oil leak on the ground but I wonder if that would be caught by a skidplate. If I go back and make an offer, I'll have them put it on a hoist first.

Only issue I saw (which seems pretty minor) was some residue on the steering wheel around the buttons and at the bottom of the wheel in the silver part.. Is this something that is going to clean up, and just a case of too much driving with a Bic Mac too often? Or is this a known wear item?

View attachment 168728

And here is the money shot of the prospective purchase.

View attachment 168729
If the steering spoke stain won’t come off with a basic cleaner then it is most likely chemical damage. The previous driver may have had something on their hands that stained the finish.

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was an OP on a thread about the steering wheel trim wearing poorly. Some recap bullets:
- trim does dull and scratch easily. I suspect mine was from alcohol-based hand sanitizer. My 2013 F150 also had similar issues.
- can’t buy that trim piece, Tasca shows it as a part # but it’s not available to purchase
- have to buy new steering wheel to get a new part
- part can be removed fairly easily and re-finished. Have to remove air bag so study up first. Plenty of YouTube vids out there. Personally I am going to carbon fiber skin mine. Some have painted them.
- I have been unable to find a replacement. Couple of sketchy companies (Carbon88???) show them but other forum users have advised against them for poor customer service or poor quality.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Looks like a good find. The trim piece would bother me if there were signs of wear through the interior, but if it’s the only flaw and the rest of the interior is very good or better, you should be making financial arrangements already, not reading my bloviating posts on the internet. RRR is calling to you, lonely on that car lot, surrounded by peasant cars. Rescue her. Now.

oil pan dripping would likely be obscured by skid plates. I’d definitely consider paying for a once over.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Worst case, maybe you can find a carbon fiber overlay for that trim piece. Would save you from taking the wheel apart. Not major, but I would have to correct that one way or another.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Worst case, maybe you can find a carbon fiber overlay for that trim piece. Would save you from taking the wheel apart. Not major, but I would have to correct that one way or another.

Meh. a little rustoleum in a can will fix it right up.

abrown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do any of those raptors they have happen to be avalanche gray? I’m looking for an avalanche under 30k miles.

OP
OP
gr8scott_o

gr8scott_o

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like a good find. The trim piece would bother me if there were signs of wear through the interior, but if it’s the only flaw and the rest of the interior is very good or better, you should be making financial arrangements already, not reading my bloviating posts on the internet. RRR is calling to you, lonely on that car lot, surrounded by peasant cars. Rescue her. Now.

oil pan dripping would likely be obscured by skid plates. I’d definitely consider paying for a once over.

They are unwilling to budge at all on price. I am questioning my sanity paying brand new MSRP for a 5 year old truck. I might have found 2018 with 42k miles with a semi-reasonable price, given the market. It's a little more "flash" than this one, bright red with beadlocks and stickers. I really like the subtlety of the Ruby one, and the miles are a huge draw.

Do any of those raptors they have happen to be avalanche gray? I’m looking for an avalanche under 30k miles.
Unfortunately not. White, Magnetic, a newer Leadfoot. They sold a 2019 Ruby while I was test driving this one.