Thing about Buying a Gen 2...buuuut

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fordest Gump

Reaction score
I have a Gen 3 on order. Never owned a Raptor. Currently own a 2019 F150. My Raptor order is no where in sight and I am now being told some options will be deleted. I can't fathom paying $80k for anything and not get what I orginally ordered.

I started looking at Gen 2s which I personally have always liked the front grill and lights better. I'd like to get opinions from current Gen 2 owners on how common are the cam phaser, clunk, leaking sunroof issues. Is it everyone, is it some unfortunate souls. I don't mind buying a low mileage certified Gen 2 being prepared to have some possible known issues, but would like to know how common this is?

weimer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Get ready to get a lot of different answers. Yes people have had issues with everything you mentioned. Some people haven't had any. If you go by the forums you would think that just about every raptor that ford ever sold had these issues. I recommend searching/reading on here to get an idea of what you want to know. I'm pretty sure the cam phasers and sunroof issues can be a problem on any F150 eco boost, not just the raptor.

I just bought a 2020 and so far its been great. Still learning/getting used to it as I had a 2013 Gen1. Definitely get one that has been properly maintained. I prefer one owner vehicles with maintenance records. Good luck with your search.

OP
OP
F

Fordest Gump

Reaction score
Get ready to get a lot of different answers. Yes people have had issues with everything you mentioned. Some people haven't had any. If you go by the forums you would think that just about every raptor that ford ever sold had these issues. I recommend searching/reading on here to get an idea of what you want to know. I'm pretty sure the cam phasers and sunroof issues can be a problem on any F150 eco boost, not just the raptor.

I just bought a 2020 and so far its been great. Still learning/getting used to it as I had a 2013 Gen1. Definitely get one that has been properly maintained. I prefer one owner vehicles with maintenance records. Good luck with your search.
I am specifically targeting Gold Certified Raptors between 2018 and 2020. Am I better to try and stick with 2020, due to having more kinks worked out or is this flawed thinking on my part if I find a low mileage well taken care ot 18 or 19?

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a Gen 3 on order. Never owned a Raptor. Currently own a 2019 F150. My Raptor order is no where in sight and I am now being told some options will be deleted. I can't fathom paying $80k for anything and not get what I orginally ordered.

I started looking at Gen 2s which I personally have always liked the front grill and lights better. I'd like to get opinions from current Gen 2 owners on how common are the cam phaser, clunk, leaking sunroof issues. Is it everyone, is it some unfortunate souls. I don't mind buying a low mileage certified Gen 2 being prepared to have some possible known issues, but would like to know how common this is?
Does your dealer have an allocation? There are plenty of shítbag dealers that will gladly take your order even though the odds of it getting filled are near zero and they know it. If they actually have an allocation, I'd get the gen 3 for the rear suspension and for the peace of mind. Too many Raptors have been tuned and driven hard. Depending on how good the tune was ... there can be problems not covered under warranty. And concerning that warranty ... don't trust any dealer on that subject any farther than you can spit a dead rat. They will swear up and down that you're covered and then when the fact that it was tuned is discovered, you'll find that "Our hands are tied. So sorry."

weimer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am specifically targeting Gold Certified Raptors between 2018 and 2020. Am I better to try and stick with 2020, due to having more kinks worked out or is this flawed thinking on my part if I find a low mileage well taken care ot 18 or 19?
That sounds like a good plan to me.

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Had a 2021 loaded on order for two months during covid and the chip shortage and it got cancelled. I decided to go with a 2020 and no regrets. I saved 10 grand that I put into the truck. The front end on the Gen3 is absolutely hideous but that's its only drawback. I think the cam issues are mostly from the previous years and hear little from the 20 guys on them. I'm not sure if there was a difference in the system or if we just have not had the time for the issue to develop.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
how common are the cam phaser, clunk, leaking sunroof issues.
So there are a few issues that have cropped up on Jen Too Raptors.

Sync issues on the early releases - Sync 2.1 - 2.2. They’re mostly fixed with the latest sync 3.3/3.4 versions.

some people reported loose seats, you’d go around a turn, the seat would “shift”.
There was pretty much universal hatred of the auto stop/start.

Recalls: I’ve got door locks freezing x 3, tailgate opening x 2, and also the brake master cylinder recall.

Cam phasers: I believe it was mid 2019 when the latest revision of part and programming was introduced. You get extended coverage with either an ESP or the factory extended coverage if it was reprogrammed in time.

Moon roof... yeah... So it’s big, heavy and splits the Raptor community. Some of the owners are die hard moon roof fans, others hate it. I’m in the latter camp. I didn’t want it, but simply could not get a truck without one because Ford crams those things into every truck they can. I don’t know what their cost but it’s not 2200 bucks they charge and they’re guaranteed repairs on probably 75% of them in the future.

The typical failure is the seals develop a stickiness to the glass, so when the motor actuates the glass to the rear, the force required to overcome the stick is greater than the moonroof track guides can handle, they break, and get parts stuck in the tracks keeping the glass from either opening if you’re lucky or closing if you’re not lucky.
MOST of this type of failure can be worked around by 1) maintaining the glass to rubber contact with good lubricant and 2) opening the glass to the vent position FIRST EVERY TIME the glass is opened, then closing, then opening to the rear. This doesn’t risk the moon roof track guides.

They will develop some rattling over time but I get more rattles from stuff I carry than the moonroof.

I’d still buy the truck today, knowing what I know now.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
id just go for the newest, lowest mileage truck you can afford..

i think NOV19 and later build dates have the newest cam phaser measures so that pretty much all, but the very early 2020 models..

i have a very early 2019 build, and mine is up for cam phasers at 54k. they did the computer update for the low idle knock about 20k mi ago, and the low idle knock is back. haven't really had any other issues, but i have had a lot of fun in the truck..