They’re ruining our fun fellas.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pikser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good points but partially true.

We need more refineries number one. We’ve needed more for years. Our refineries are set up for heavy crude, similar to what Saudi Arabia produces. Shale crude is sweet light crude that’s why we export it.

And drilling permits do not happen overnight. Those permits were filed and went through the process under trump and finalized under the new regime. Under trump it took 30-60 days to get a drilling permit, under Obama and Biden it is usually 180+ minimum. I drill wells for a living, I get it. More under Biden is political theatre as you would say.

This oil price is not good for anyone. But when the market is based off speculation and a weak president is in the office prices will sky rocket.

You’re correct there is a lot more than drill baby drill but we cannot simply sit back and hope other countries provide for us. The energy transition is a bunch of BS and will bankrupt this country before it does anything else.

This isn’t the topic for the “energy transition” BS. Total scam by the way.
Saudi crude is 34 API and is considered as medium weight
Heavy crude was mainly from Venezuela and from Canada

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Plus, bringing everything up there is going to require trucks. Lots of trucks. Lots of fuel burning trucks. Increased fuel demand with an already finite supply is going to result in even higher fuel prices.
True, but that’s not any different from anywhere else. The amount of fuel expended would be more than made up for by the amount of potential fuel generated.
I get your point about ANWR existing at the behest of gov't. I still don't get how that's the most poor representation of or species-preserving unspoiled land in that state. I dunno, maybe we just agree to disagree on this one.
again, I will correct that I didn’t say ANWR was bad for “protecting” land and critters, we can’t have a country filled to the brim with condominiums and townhouses. My response was to your initial remarks on ANWR, and I was simply pointing out the irony because it was created by man. Those who created it were from the government, and of course are “here to help”. Government workers are not the best representation of people. politicians and bureaucrats are not putting out best foot forward.

So I’m not so much against what I think you mean about ANWR in that there’s habitat there conducive to wildlife, open spaces.

But again, just because of that, doesn’t mean we can’t extract petroleum product from there and I believe we can do it with minimal impact. Even if we found that there could be impact, we should explore mitigating the impact, not abandoning all hope!

This isn’t a great medium for the topic at hand, you won’t be disagreeing with me as much as you might think if we were solving the world’s problems over a few pints.

Similar to the decision Ford made in regards to the exploding Pinto gas tanks, any payout due to lawsuits would be less than costs to prevent or remedy the situation. This would include the up-front costs to install all the safety and monitoring equipment, staff it (monitoring it), repair and maintain it over it's lifetime, and replace it at the end of it's service life.
That is a fair point and one not previously discussed or considered on my part. I still feel that this concern can be adequately mitigated.

So, agree or disagree, we can do so without demonizing one another and I think we have so far. So yeah we have some point by point disagreements but when we get done here we can both still go out to the Rap, find some local whoops and take them way faster than some peasant truck, maybe get some air, minor rock crawling or cruise down to the local coffee joint.

Pikser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so--- 3% of our petroleum came from Russia last year... yet record profits for oil companies... this isn't a partisan thing- its a corporate GREED thing.... Also, a gallon of gas in Germany is 10 bucks a gallon.... and it has always been twice what it is in the US--- like they say, if you can afford a Raptor, it isn't about mileage or gas price... if you don't like it, buy a Prius.
The average profit the major oil and gas companies reported in 2021 is 8% !
How many companies do you know can survive on this ?

jeanco

2019 scab=gone,24 AMB 801A
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The US in still a net exporter of crude. It has been since 2018 and will continue to be this year. (and the US has been the world leading exporter of refined petroleum products like gasoline for over a decade!). More importantly to your points, Biden has approved more drilling permits in his first year than Trump did in his first, second or third year. Not sure where you're getting this info, but it's wrong. So far, Biden in on track to approve FAR MORE oil permits than Trump.

I was talking about this in another thread...the idea that "with a stroke of a pen" we could "produce it ourselves more economically" is wrong. We *already* produce more than enough petroleum to meet domestic demand. However, it's not "our choice" (nor that simple). Until it is more profitable to refine US petroleum into gasoline and sell that refined product to domestic customers, nothing will change. It's more profitable to sell more crude and its refined products abroad. Until that changes, "drill, baby, drill" is just political theater.
oil companies are happy when the president is democratic for this reason,you right.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You fellas got a lot of opinions

REMIX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last time this happened I bought a Prius. No, I'm not kidding. I dumped a Hemi Ram quad cab and bought a Prius (that's it in my profile pic). No, I won't be doing that again. But I also seem to remember roads got a lot emptier, demand for consumer gasoline dropped off a cliff and things calmed down. People stop doing things like making unnecessary trips when gas is high. Money gets reallocated into the gas tank instead of a night out somewhere. People also freak out and dump their trucks and SUVs.

Mortgage interest rates are up about 100 basis points from a year ago, and this along with the price of gas and, ultimately, food and goods will put a pin in an already overinflated real estate market and really dampen discretionary spending. My GF's stocks got hammered last week - bad. I can only imagine what it's doing to peoples' 401ks. People spend and borrow more when they "feel" wealthy.

Where it goes from here I dunno, probably not good. I'm in commercial real estate and I suspect residential will get hit hard and then commercial goes with it about a year later. Was looking for another house in January, but gave up. I've saved and I've decided to just wait it out.

Idaho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Listen, if green energy is so bloody wonderful, why isn't the US military all in? Nuclear powered Navy aircraft carriers and submarines aside (and nuclear power isn't green energy), everything that the Navy, Air Force, Army, Marines, and Coast Guard has runs on fossil fuels. There are no electrically powered tanks, APCs, trucks, fighters, bombers, cruisers, destroyers, frigates, or riverine patrol craft in the US military inventory. Why? Because battery technology isn't ready, and it won't be ready for years.

If battery technology doesn't meet military readiness and sustainment needs, then it doesn't meet mine. Several years ago I moved my household from northern Alabama to northern Nevada - 2,000 miles. I did it with my Raptor, U-Haul trailers, and a U-Haul truck. Could I have done it with a Tesla? Models X and Y are available with a towing package and have 5,000 and 3,500 towing capacities respectively. But towing severely reduces range, and the time penalty involved in stopping multiple times to recharge would have turned a 3-day trip into a 2-week nightmare.

The military does not convert its fighting vehicles to electric as they must be ready to deploy and fight anywhere in the world. Diesel is available practically anywhere in the world and is easily resupplied.