Thermostat going bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rambo88

Reaction score
Quick question fellas. I’m far from a gear head, hoping someone can offer a little insight. Was running a few weeks ago and smoked a pheasant right through my grill into the radiator. The radiator didn’t take on any damage, just a few bent vents nothing that would be more than cosmetic. I left it sit for a week while I was out of town and then after leaving the airport the engine overheat warning came on within the first few minutes of operation. This has been ongoing now and only occurs in the first 10 minutes of start up and running. Once the engine overheat warning comes on and I pull over, the gauge levels out towards cold where it should be. Almost like the thermostat isnt opening until that warning comes on. Coolant level is good. My question is could it be something else besides the thermostat and am I risking a lot by running like this for 2 more weeks? After the warning I can run for hours and the engine temp will stay consistently where it should.

Thanks in advance fellas.

Guardrail

Reaction score
Sounds like there is air in the coolant system. Try putting the truck up on ramps or parking it facing up hill. Take the radiator cap off and run it until the top radiator hose gets hot. Make sure you have the heater on high so it runs through the heater core. That should get any air out.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the radiator is behind the ac condenser as well. so any damage would have been to to ac compressor before the radiator.

i hit a few birds. had one in my grill for a year. everytime someone asked if they should remove it, i told them no. we named him birdnard.

Skubik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bi
the radiator is behind the ac condenser as well. so any damage would have been to to ac compressor before the radiator.

i hit a few birds. had one in my grill for a year. everytime someone asked if they should remove it, i told them no. we named him birdnard.
birdnard

Skubik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too funny about Birdnard haha

Anyway as far as the posters question goes...definitely purge all air out as it could be the culprit but if the issue just started randomly one day I'd be willing to bet the thermostat could be maybe sticking. Replacing the thermostat is the cheapest, easiest way to see if that fixes your problem.