The V6 Ford Raptor Outsold The Original V8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sage

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Call it any way you want, if you actually tow a fairly heavy load, there's no replacement for displacement. My 6.2 has no problem with a loaded 14' cargo trailer, and it will get better milage doing it.

I pulled the same load 2000 miles. Twice with the Raptor, twice with TT 3.5 FX4, no comparison!

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Call it any way you want, if you actually tow a fairly heavy load, there's no replacement for displacement. My 6.2 has no problem with a loaded 14' cargo trailer, and it will get better milage doing it.

I pulled the same load 2000 miles. Twice with the Raptor, twice with TT 3.5 FX4, no comparison!

The replacement for displacement is F/I. The 3.5 performs on the same principles as a turbo diesel; higher low end torque at lower engine speeds. Would you claim a 13L N/A diesel will pull better than a 6.7L Powerstroke simply because it has more displacement? That would be a foolish assertion.

There's a reason that the EcoBoost is the #1 selling engine in F-150, it offers the best combination of torque, horsepower, and fuel economy all while having the highest towing capacity. Can't argue with the facts.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The important part is it's thicker than the steel body panels on Gen 1 and doesn't rust.

No, the important part is that aluminum body panels can't be repaired in the normal body & fender fashion and must be replaced, and that the cost associated with that for an off-road vehicle might prove to be pretty significant.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No, the important part is that aluminum body panels can't be repaired in the normal body & fender fashion and must be replaced, and that the cost associated with that for an off-road vehicle might prove to be pretty significant.

Are you living under a bridge? Ford has provided training and equipment to thousands of collision repair centers for aluminum trucks and SUVs back in 2015, and the insurance companies have concurred that the cost is approximately the same to repair as a steel bodied vehicle. There is no downside. If what you were claiming were true, 2015+ F-150/2017+ F-Superduty and 2018+ Expedition/Navigator insurance rates would be throught he roof. That is simply not the case at all.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Are you living under a bridge? Ford has provided training and equipment to thousands of collision repair centers for aluminum trucks and SUVs back in 2015, and the insurance companies have concurred that the cost is approximately the same to repair as a steel bodied vehicle. There is no downside.

It's the bridge under the 12th Street overpass down by the river.
What grade of aluminum are we talking about, please?

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Since you seem to know so much, why don't you tell me?

Please don't be unnecessarily obnoxious. It is clear from my post #14 in this thread - the one you responded to - that I don't know.
"Military grade aluminum" doesn't tell anyone anything, as I am sure that you understand better than most.
So, if you don't mind, please let us all know what grade of aluminum Ford uses in its body panels.
I am genuinely interested in learning what grade of aluminum alloy is as malleable as body steel. That would be a bit of valuable metallurgical information!

Last edited: