The Super-Duper Phone Mount Wireless Charging Carplay Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raiderofthelostark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talking with a buddy and I think we might have found a solid solution for wireless charging and carplay. He's basically got this same setup in his overland van, why not try it in the Raptor?

I know a lot of this is probably common knowledge but hear me out.

The idea here is to have two wireless mounts for driver & passenger that hold the phone in all friggin conditions while also enabling wireless CarPlay.

Goals:
-Qi Charging
-SOLID Mounting
-Wireless Carplay - CarLinkit 3.0

Parts:
-BuiltRite Mount - Because this also has a reinforcement plate to sandwich the dash trim, it might be the most stout and versatile option.
-67 Designs Balls & Arms - Best I've found.
-Anker Qi Charging Ball Mount - These are surprisingly strong and have a ball adapter on the back.
-Power Convertor 12v to 5v to USB-C - Going to hardwire these in so that the mag mounts or charging other devices are at full power.
-Right Angle USB-C Cable (Male-Female) - These will follow the arms to provide power from the convertors to the mag mounts.

Parts ordered. Will report back with the results.

Last edited:
OP
OP
raiderofthelostark

raiderofthelostark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

jgwoody

Reaction score
I'm kinda wanting to do this same thing, but with a magsafe charger instead of Qi. I currently have the proclip center dash mount (shown below, not my truck, just pulled it off the website) which is pretty damn solid compared to vent mounted solutions. I'm thinking of going with the ESR HaloLock to mount to it and running a usb-c to 2 wire (red and black wires) in the crevice behind the dash for a cleaner look. Have you already found wires back there to tap into? I'd prefer to have constant on power to the charger as opposed to switched accesory. That shouldn't drain the battery when vehicle is off unless a phone is charging right?

854307.jpgwhich is solid

OP
OP
raiderofthelostark

raiderofthelostark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, finally got around to this project. These Anker mounts work awesome if you're already in the Qi/MagMount system. They are seriously like suction cups. If you have a case on your phone, you might need to install one of those metal brackets in the case to prevent falling over bumps but I run mine nekkid so it works great. Believe me, the phone is going no where.

This mounting system combined with this wireless Carplay system works really good.

Fast charging and wireless CarPlay. Goal acheived.

Final Results:
8FFF4364-96B9-4C56-811E-8DC92BDF204D.jpeg

How we got here:

1. Remove the top center dash (7mm and Plastic Trim Removers)
2. Remove Stereo Cover and Remove wire connectors
3. Splice into Cigarette Lighter (White/Blue) with a power wire with in-line 10A fuse
4. Buy two of these USB-C Convertors
5. Wire everything up
6. Ground to metal frame
7. Test power/ground
8. Firmly mount USB Adapters with double-sided tape to plastic
9. Drill two holes in the upper dash to feed the wires
10. Put everything back
11. Connect USB-C Extensions (the right angle ones work great)
12. Connect your 67 designs or mount of choice
13. Anker mounts use 17mm ball connectors
14. Mount it all up
15. Take photos and upload them to FRF

Mounting the USB-C Convertors
B70DF050-5AE6-4951-A705-85E5C7828CFE.jpeg

Drilling feed holes. I went with two so I could zip tie them together so they wouldn't drop
242AE64A-D8DE-4D43-A91A-FAC196DD3D9B.jpeg
F93C684E-DDC9-45FE-B61D-B1827381C11E.jpeg

Last edited:

raptor556

Reaction score
yeah but

A. streaming sound quality sucks ass wireless
B. phone doesn't charge as fast

best mount I've found. love mine

OP
OP
raiderofthelostark

raiderofthelostark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah but

A. streaming sound quality sucks ass wireless
B. phone doesn't charge as fast

best mount I've found. love mine

Music Quality -
You’re not really going to get any better quality if using CarPlay or other streaming services with or without a cord. There is still compression.

Charging -
The Ankers used here at 7.5W via USB-C and powered by 15w converters actually charge much faster than a direct 5W USB-A cord.

So basically same quality of music, faster charging, no wires

Last edited:

raptor556

Reaction score
Music Quality- Sorry man, you don't know what you are talking about with that. do your research (and it ain't hard to tell just using your ears)

Charging: cool you found a charger that charges as fast with or without a wire.

OP
OP
raiderofthelostark

raiderofthelostark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The compression rate is the same through either source via CarPlay, the cord does not make a difference. This unit is p2p Wifi connected and only uses Bluetooth to make the initial connection. All other functions and transmission rates are the same as the cord.

The sound quality is the same.

Which sound source/streaming service are you expecting to get lossless audio from? The file types and rates are different between each (Spotify/Pandora/Tidal/Apple). Even enabling Audio Lossless with Apple Music will still be compressed via Carplay.

Music Quality- Sorry man, you don't know what you are talking about with that. do your research (and it ain't hard to tell just using your ears)

Charging: cool you found a charger that charges as fast with or without a wire.

raptor556

Reaction score
apple music is lossless (when that setting is selected) when using the cord or airplay---bluetooth however cannot support that fidelity.