The Stuck Oil Filter Rope Trick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you're removing the filter could have gotten a long flat screwdriver and stabbed a hole in it at an angle and gotten it loose? Or no room to even try ?
No. The factory Toyota filer can bent so readily that I was sure that doing the old school screwdriver trick would just tear the sheetmetal can. I mentioned that in post #1.

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was gonna say anyone else just stab it with a screwdriver and loosen it that way? I don't know whats wrong w people that they feel the need to over tighten these things?
Ask the guys at the Toyota engine assembly plant. This was first oil change on a new car that was only weeks old.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No. The factory Toyota filer can bent so readily that I was sure that doing the old school screwdriver trick would just tear the sheetmetal can. I mentioned that in post #1.
You'd think that but because you're working with both axis it tends to work.

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You'd think that but because you're working with both axis it tends to work.
There are plenty of videos documenting people ripping a filter to pieces and having only the mounting plate to work with. Here is one example:

The rope trick solution was much, much less problematic and it worked just fine. No surgery required. Now I have a tool that, just in case this happens again (unlikely - I do my own work, lube the filter gasket, and don't torque the filter on with a anything other than my hands), I won't be nearly as bothered or challenged.