The stigma of owning a Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Life is too short to drive boring cars, I drive what I want and don’t care what others think.

I modify everything to the way I want it and very much enjoy helping others do the same.

I do almost all the work myself and this is my hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think a lot of people struggle with young people being succesful and doing different things with their money than they would (particularly if it’s more money than they have). When I was 28, I ordered a new 2015 F150 King Ranch, loaded exactly how I wanted it. I also had done the things I needed to save a huge down payment and make sure it fit my finances, but I caught all kinds of grief on how a young person shouldn’t spend that much. People had no idea what my savings were or cash flow each month, but they still opined. People have a hard time understanding things that don’t align with their viewpoint.

All you can do is trust your own judgment. Obviously you’re doing well managing your finances. Just do what you want, and let others be jealous.

This. Raptors have this image of being insanely expensive pushed by jealous people that can't afford them, and so they draw a lot of ire. I've gotten way more dirty looks than compliments on my truck, and I always get embarrassed when people make a big deal about it at work, but I bought it for me, not for them. Their idiocy shouldn't - and doesn't - impact my enjoyment.

People comment about how much the payment is (or rather, they think it is) not realizing it is equivalent to the US monthly average in fast food and shopping expenditures. So while they waste their money on trivial things, I get to drive a badass truck.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can't say I've run into any of that in my neck of the woods. No one here cares what I'm driving. To most people it's just another truck on the road. From truck guys and general auto enthusiasts, I've only received complements and questions like "how do you like it?" Heck, 95% of the time I'm on the road, public reaction is indistinguishable from when I'm driving my Raptor or my arguably feminine, Ford Escape. The other 5% is from the occasional compliment and question I mentioned previously.

The question I have is, are you really getting the negativity you think you're getting or is it largely playing out in your imagination? I'm not saying it is one way or the other, but I do think it's a question worth asking.

OP
OP
MidnightSpecial

MidnightSpecial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't say I've run into any of that in my neck of the woods. No one here cares what I'm driving. To most people it's just another truck on the road. From truck guys and general auto enthusiasts, I've only received complements and questions like "how do you like it?" Heck, 95% of the time I'm on the road, public reaction is indistinguishable from when I'm driving my Raptor or my arguably feminine, Ford Escape. The other 5% is from the occasional compliment and question I mentioned previously.

The question I have is, are you really getting the negativity you think you're getting or is it largely playing out in your imagination? I'm not saying it is one way or the other, but I do think it's a question worth asking.

It's not necessarily people hounding me all the time about it. I keep it to myself to the most part since me owning the truck is a personal thing and not just a boast. It's just usually when it comes up the person has something negative to say like "man I don't know why anyone would spend over 30k on a truck" or "I only buy used cars under 10k. The rest is a waste" etc. If it's not people giving personal anecdotes about the truck it's the "are you compensating for something?" "Why do you need that?"

In usually respond with a "meh it's my money and it makes me happy" which usually changes the conversation but it's seems most interactions go this way.

It's nothing I can't handle. It just makes me scratch my head why people want to throw their two cents into my purchase.

TexasTexas95

Reaction score
It’s funny to be on both sides of the Raptor fence. Those who have them, and those who want to have them. I think it’s funny that nobody trash talks the $80,000 SUV which is essentially a truck with an integrated camper shell and some third row seats but they always trash talk a Raptor. I’m probably going to always be a ford guy but I love all the brands out there (except Nissan maybe cause I can’t think of anything uglier?) and they all need to thank Ford and specifically the Raptor for them stepping their game up every year to try and unsuccessfully duplicate all the cool shit Ford does.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It’s funny to be on both sides of the Raptor fence. Those who have them, and those who want to have them. I think it’s funny that nobody trash talks the $80,000 SUV which is essentially a truck with an integrated camper shell and some third row seats but they always trash talk a Raptor. I’m probably going to always be a ford guy but I love all the brands out there (except Nissan maybe cause I can’t think of anything uglier?) and they all need to thank Ford and specifically the Raptor for them stepping their game up every year to try and unsuccessfully duplicate all the cool shit Ford does.

Yup. The whole off-road renaissance the market is enjoying is all thanks to the Raptor.

It is the same as the luxury car crew looking down on truck owners, not realizing the base price of some of HDs is twice as much as their car is worth. People just don't have perspective, and for some reason are ok with that.

TexasTexas95

Reaction score
I have a confession. When I quit working in the oil field to start my own company, I had to make ends meet somehow to stay ahead of my bills and I used to Uber in my Raptor. People would trip out riding around in it. Lots of people have no clue that trucks can be that nice on the inside. They are completely oblivious until they get inside one. Ignant

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In Texas, all I get are approving nods and jealous stares as I drive around town. Interestingly, I had more gas station and parking lot questions about mine when it was 100% stock vs what I get now. I did have one guy say recently, "That is one big-a$$ Raptor!"

The reaction you get really depends on where you live and what people are used to seeing on the road. If you do not drive a pickup or SUV in Texas, people look down at you (literally) and think, what a poor SOB, you really need to go out and buy a nicer vehicle...

RaptArAz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well optioned trucks are the new luxury sedans.

The rest of the population simply hasn't wrapped their mind around that yet.