The right way to install GEN 2 Shocks on a GEN 1!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Doug Mikra

Doug Mikra

Reaction score
I am interested in this for my truck now. Are they only for the Gen 2 "dumb" shock body or will this also work on a live valve shock body?
I am assuming you are referring to making live valve take-offs work for a Gen 1 truck.

It currently only works for the 17-18 hardware. Live valve shocks have a smaller main piston (2 1/8 vs. 2 1/4) and would also require a unique base valve.

For the additional cost of trying to make a live valve take-off work, you would be better off buying a new 17-18 MY “dumb” shock. This is especially true considering you’re getting a larger main piston with the 17-18MY shock.

SVTRap

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply and insight. I have both styles of struts in my parts hoard so now this gives me a direction I want to go. Pre-order placed so thank you again!

Last edited:

SVTRap

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you planning to add all the hardware that makes a live valve shock work too? Without it there's not really a point....
I found a set local to me for cheap and purchased them with the intent of adding the KHC strut buckets and RPG delete kit and was curious if this would allow for less welding on my end by not having to add in said buckets. Fortunately I also have a set of take-off 17/18 struts that I can now use.

OP
OP
Doug Mikra

Doug Mikra

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Just an update. After 6 long months of being backed up we finally have the kits in stock again. I'm planning on uploading a photo gallery of our most recent production run this coming Friday.

All pre-order customers have been contacted and we will hopefully get all remaining open orders out by the end of next week.

If you are interested in a set for your own vehicle, please do not hesitate to reach out. We currently have some stock but I expect it to go fast. Hard to tell if things are getting better or worse these days, but I have been told to expect similar challenges with getting material from my supply chain moving forward.
Thanks!!

Doug

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am assuming you are referring to making live valve take-offs work for a Gen 1 truck.

It currently only works for the 17-18 hardware. Live valve shocks have a smaller main piston (2 1/8 vs. 2 1/4) and would also require a unique base valve.

For the additional cost of trying to make a live valve take-off work, you would be better off buying a new 17-18 MY “dumb” shock. This is especially true considering you’re getting a larger main piston with the 17-18MY shock.
Well I thought I had a good idea, after reading this Eclik thread and watching this Keep it Dirty video, wondered if a collaboration with you and Eclik might yield a Gen1 Live Valve setup...now I'm wondering about the Gen3 shocks and the shock difference between 35 and 37...

gotsboost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I thought I had a good idea, after reading this Eclik thread and watching this Keep it Dirty video, wondered if a collaboration with you and Eclik might yield a Gen1 Live Valve setup...now I'm wondering about the Gen3 shocks and the shock difference between 35 and 37...
Exactly what I’m doing. Did the deletes but kept my valves. Khc’s kit has enough room for a longer shock. Hopefully the gen 3’s fit

OP
OP
Doug Mikra

Doug Mikra

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

We currently have plenty of hardware in stock for the Gen 1 conversions! Shoot us a message to get your shocks shipped out ASAP.
Thanks

Doug

OP
OP
Doug Mikra

Doug Mikra

Reaction score
Exactly what I’m doing. Did the deletes but kept my valves. Khc’s kit has enough room for a longer shock. Hopefully the gen 3’s fit

The challenge will be to get enough people to make the costs reasonable.

If there is enough interest, we could likely make this work without having to modify the shock towers.

OP
OP
Doug Mikra

Doug Mikra

Reaction score
was looking at 2.5 replacement shocks to have on standby but after reading this thread it seems like this would be a better way to go. Now to start saving up some money and find some take offs lol

We have some shocks in stock currently - if you’re serious send us a message and we can get something built up for you!!