The right way to install GEN 2 Shocks on a GEN 1!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Doug Mikra

Doug Mikra

Reaction score
I was close, but never saw any answers to your question. I sent $5 to his website to get in line, but never heard anything after. I guess $5 was a cheap lesson learned….

85Eurocarrera, if you have a minute PM me your phone number and we’ll make sure to make it right.

To everyone else, we apologize for the delay. We preordered material for 10 kits total and unfortunately sold out of the initial batch much faster than expected. We’ve since ordered more and it should be arriving here shortly. We’re only using the $5 as a fully refundable placeholder to make sure we’re delivering parts in the same order that the preorders were received.

The Outer Can uses a special seamless aluminum extrusion that only a couple of suppliers manufacture here in the United States. If we were to use a standard off-the-shelf seamed extrusion in a pressure vessel like a shock absorber there’s a considerable risk of failure along the seam. For something as critical as a shock absorber we feel we need to do it right.

One of our customers has been running the setup on his truck nearly a month and a half now with at least one off-road trip. I reached out to him, hopefully he’ll provide some 3rd party feedback to y’all here shortly.
Thanks

Doug

SnowMachine

Reaction score
Has anyone here bought/used this setup?

I bought and installed this kit a little over a month ago. I had not posted because I am new to the forum but thought I'd get my 2 cents out there. I installed stock gen 2 shocks in the rear as well.

First off, the height works well for me and looks about mid perch.

These have been night and day compared to the tired gen 1 shocks. I have been daily driving it, bomb down dirt roads weekly, and find plenty of potholes on my daily commute. Washboard unpaved roads are ironed out and big potholes are almost completely mitigated. These alone are making me want to keep the truck. IMO this ride feels less nervous than stock gen 2's I've driven. I am very impressed and would recommend these.

Attachments

• IMG_5359.jpg
    IMG_5359.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_5362.jpg
    IMG_5362.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_5363.jpg
    IMG_5363.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_5364.jpg
    IMG_5364.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_5365.jpg
    IMG_5365.jpg
    384.6 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
85Eurocarrera, if you have a minute PM me your phone number and we’ll make sure to make it right.

To everyone else, we apologize for the delay. We preordered material for 10 kits total and unfortunately sold out of the initial batch much faster than expected. We’ve since ordered more and it should be arriving here shortly. We’re only using the $5 as a fully refundable placeholder to make sure we’re delivering parts in the same order that the preorders were received.

The Outer Can uses a special seamless aluminum extrusion that only a couple of suppliers manufacture here in the United States. If we were to use a standard off-the-shelf seamed extrusion in a pressure vessel like a shock absorber there’s a considerable risk of failure along the seam. For something as critical as a shock absorber we feel we need to do it right.

One of our customers has been running the setup on his truck nearly a month and a half now with at least one off-road trip. I reached out to him, hopefully he’ll provide some 3rd party feedback to y’all here shortly.
Thanks

Doug
Doug,

Can you confirm this is a kit for both (2) front shocks? At the bottom of the description it states it is for one.

OP
OP
Doug Mikra

Doug Mikra

Reaction score
Doug,

Can you confirm this is a kit for both (2) front shocks? At the bottom of the description it states it is for one.

Unfortunately this is for just one. Still doing 20% off for Forum members so a conversion set for a pair of fronts will be just under $600.

I’ve gotten this question a few times so I will go back and update the website offering a pair with the correct pricing for a pair.

patrapt

Reaction score
hello doug excellent project, would you have a video explaining the modification, disassembly of gen 2 shock and implementation of your solution?

OP
OP
Doug Mikra

Doug Mikra

Reaction score
hello doug excellent project, would you have a video explaining the modification, disassembly of gen 2 shock and implementation of your solution?

I’m a bit new to video editing but let me see what we can come up with!

In the meantime, we’re still taking orders for conversion kits. Even though we’re still waiting on more material to come in, the $5 deposit will ensure you keep your place in line.
thanks

Doug

SVTRap

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am interested in this for my truck now. Are they only for the Gen 2 "dumb" shock body or will this also work on a live valve shock body?

Last edited: