The right way to install GEN 2 Shocks on a GEN 1!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yoopercharged

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We did some durability testing, both real-world on vehicle and accelerated durability on a shock dynamometer to compare the 2.5” and 3.0” designs.

From a damping perspective, our 3.0” package is lasting 5-6x longer than the standard 2.5 setup on an accelerated durability dyno test.

In terms of mileage, it really depends on driving style and use case. My mixed on-road/off road usage would require about 30k miles between rebuilds with the 2.5’s. Now I expect to make it 150k mile with the 3.0. The anodized hard coat surface means that the shocks should come off in ~7 years looking brand new.

Hey Doug - When you mention the 5-6x life of your 3.0" package, does that apply to just the custom fronts? I would assume the stock Gen. 2 rears would still need to be rebuilt at the normal service interval?

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you guys offer a rebuild program? I have some Gen 2 fronts that I want to put on, but they need rebuilt.

It’d be ***** if I could get it all done in one fell swoop!

OP
OP
Doug Mikra

Doug Mikra

Reaction score
Do you guys offer a rebuild program? I have some Gen 2 fronts that I want to put on, but they need rebuilt.

It’d be ***** if I could get it all done in one fell swoop!

We do not personally as I cannot afford to carry the inventory of all the potential replacement parts that might be needed during a full rebuild.

However, a forum sponsor Brian Diede/Shocks by Hammer should be a solid 1-stop shop for rebuild and installation. I believe he’s running our hardware on his personal truck and has been extremely impressed.

TSW has also started to evaluate our hardware and while everything has been positive we haven’t quite ironed all the details out yet. Nonetheless I will keep everyone in the loop.

other365

Reaction score
Finally got around to installing my front shocks from Doug! Shipping was super quick, shocks were well packaged, and absolutely mint condition. Almost felt bad installing them on my shock oil stained truck lol.

Went from stock 2.5 rebuilds on low perch\stock springs to Doug's shocks w\Geiser's (come at ~mid-perch height) and replaced EVERYTHING on the front end, top hats, lower arm ball joints & bushings, upper arms, inner&outer tie rods, installed camber bolts. Also put +3SD Deavers, SDHQ bumpstop pads, Camburg shackles, and new Gen2 shocks on the rear. Everything aligned in-spec.

I bought the truck w\the original shocks at 94k miles and they were all seeping. I had them rebuilt but in 5k miles I managed to blow (as in nasty leak) a front and rear shock without even trying. I am looking forward to the extended service life these should offer.

I have extended +3" rear brake lines from Crown on the way, cannot droop out the rear with the stock rubber lines on this set up. Once those are on I will air out the truck a bit and report back. :cool:

Very happy with the ride, stiffer up front but still compliant, less crashey over small imperfections. Parking lot speedbumps are much stiffer than I remember previously though. Rear end much less bouncy at speed. Less brake dive. No more random clunk from the front right. Truck height looks similar to post above - just a touch of rake but almost even, so if there is a load in the bed it wont look squatted out.

The first drive I was getting some IWE? grinding noises on acceleration, I have since cycled 4WD a few times and it hasn't reoccurred so hoping I don't have to pull them apart again anytime soon.

Bonus: seems like my PS rack is starting to seep from the seal on passenger side, boot was a little wet. Think I'm just gonna throw some Lucas PS fluid w\conditioner in there and ride it out until I have to replace rack and do the pump at the same time. Pump is a little groaney anyways.

Attachments

• IMG_20220223_171543 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20220223_171543 - Copy.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a blown stock front driver shock. Will be sending the gen 2’s I’m holding to Shocks by Hammer for the treatment here shortly.

I’ll be sure to follow up after!

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm hoping to pick up a set of gen 2 shocks soon as well and try out this retrofit kit.