The right way to install GEN 2 Shocks on a GEN 1!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HalfRap

Reaction score
This kit gives the Gen 2 3.0 the same compressed and extended length as the factory 2.5” shock. There are zero binding issues on our trucks that we have installed them on. With that said, if the CV is damaged from years of binding they may need to be replaced.

In terms of installation it would be the same as any other shock rebuild. It shouldn’t be bad to do at home as long as you have basic tools (A vise, quality torque wrench, nitrogen fill kit) and pick up the tool kit we have on the website. If you do not have a hydraulic press, we can install brand-new bushings into the lower bodies, just add bushings to the order and make a note during checkout!

If the shocks have some time on them, we would recommend purchasing a rebuild kit from Fox and doing new oil+seals if they are taken apart. We could do an installation video in the next couple weeks if there is interest. Also, I think a shock service company would happily install these components as well.

So you are pretty much saying here,, That your Gen2 kit nets 0 extra travel for the Gen1.. Correct??

OP
OP
Doug Mikra

Doug Mikra

Reaction score
So you are pretty much saying here,, That your Gen2 kit nets 0 extra travel for the Gen1.. Correct??

It is zero extra travel compared to a stock shock or a king/Fox/Icon 3.0. But it is over 2” of extra compression travel versus a standard Gen 2 OE 3.0 installed on the truck, which is extremely important.

Also consider that since it is a 3.0 versus a 2.5, you are making better use of the travel that you do have with a bigger shock.

OP
OP
Doug Mikra

Doug Mikra

Reaction score
Will there be a shock body developed for the rear or is the valving already appropriate?

Rear dimensions are ok and valving is actually pretty good right out of the box. We could make some changes on a case-by-case basis depending on what people are looking for but it will require some additional cost.

gotsboost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear dimensions are ok and valving is actually pretty good right out of the box. We could make some changes on a case-by-case basis depending on what people are looking for but it will require some additional cost.

Does this option work with the live valves? Sorry if I missed it.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NICE!! If/when I come across some cheap Gen2 takeoffs this looks perfect. Now if only you could come up with a way to add remote reservoirs...

OP
OP
Doug Mikra

Doug Mikra

Reaction score
NICE!! If/when I come across some cheap Gen2 takeoffs this looks perfect. Now if only you could come up with a way to add remote reservoirs...

Unfortunately that would be a major hardware tear-up. I’m sure we COULD do it, but for the cost you would be best suited to a set of Fox or King’s.

OP
OP
Doug Mikra

Doug Mikra

Reaction score
A couple guys wanted to see some photos of the shocks I’ve been running on my personal truck, so I pulled them off today from side-by-side with some standard Gen 2 hardware.

This set has taken a beating from several installs/removals but has been rock solid since we first built them up. Expect your hardware to be much prettier!

4D893C91-33A2-4303-B5DB-0B737435E703.jpeg

E6ED391C-736E-464F-8A34-A327E28D78B9.jpeg

C0AA7264-DE59-4CE7-8DAD-9416EE6AB38D.jpeg

F45A39DE-895B-48BB-9E97-F78F56DFC88F.jpeg

1223A297-A236-4A7D-BADC-A811F081BAB1.jpeg