The right way to install GEN 2 Shocks on a GEN 1!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

II Sevv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was referring to doing an entire 3.0 Race Kit with matched front and rears. You’re right that the aftermarket fronts are Internal Bypass but when matched with rears it can get a little annoying. No doubt that the race-oriented 3.0 kits will perform better off-road though.

Since the OE 3.0 rears fit the Gen 1’s, we would envision running both our front strut kit and a set of OE 3.0 rears for a mild build.
Don’t want to hijack your thread, but about the bypass noise, I have 18” icon bypasses and they’re dead silent. Icon doesn’t make custom length bypasses anymore but they do sell all the individual components so maybe someone that wants a quiet bypass could use the icon valves on their Fox or king shocks? Just a thought.

MrGable27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is just a modification to the leg of the Coilover and Outer Body primarily. Tried to minimize new components to reduce cost as much as possible.

Versus the KHC or RPG bucket relocation kit solution, you do not have to cut and re-weld the frame. You simply assemble the shock with these components and bolt them into the truck!

Nice. Very cool option for those with a set of Gen 2 takeoffs; I probably would’ve gone this route instead of rebuilding my stockers (before I stepped up to Kings), if they had been available.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So in order to get the correct bypass locations etc. you would need the shock bodies and legs, plus the caps to complete the retrofit?

OP
OP
Doug Mikra

Doug Mikra

Reaction score
So in order to get the correct bypass locations etc. you would need the shock bodies and legs, plus the caps to complete the retrofit?

We spent a ton of time on the computer working with different part combinations to get the bypass locations right, get a mid-perch ride height location and get the right extended and compressed length to package into the G1’s. I think total we looked at 5 different potential combinations of components.

With that said, with the geometry of our unique lower eyelet, unique outer body and unique shaft spacer we were able to get the bypass ports right on the money for a mid-perch height configuration. We found this maximized performance without requiring any unnecessary cost.

If you wanted to go low perch, you would still need our lower body but we would recommend a custom shock rod and travel spacer to optimize the port dimensions. We can do this by request if you’re interested but figured most people are currently running mid perch anyways.

85eurocarrera

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interested.

My Gen 1 is new to me, 1 month, so now too versed in the suspension talk. I need new shock or rebuild like now. Want to go new, but no rears are available at this time.

You say the rear 3.0 are direct bolt on. I need your kit, and what else to mount the front 3.0 to my 2011 SCab? Do I need to have the 3.0 shock bodies modified?

Thanks.

OP
OP
Doug Mikra

Doug Mikra

Reaction score
Interested.

My Gen 1 is new to me, 1 month, so now too versed in the suspension talk. I need new shock or rebuild like now. Want to go new, but no rears are available at this time.

You say the rear 3.0 are direct bolt on. I need your kit, and what else to mount the front 3.0 to my 2011 SCab? Do I need to have the 3.0 shock bodies modified?

Thanks.

Rear OE Gen 2 3.0’s would be a direct bolt-on. Front OE Gen 2 3.0’s would require our kit to be installed.

I checked today and fortunately the new price on the OE’s isn’t bad, around $400 per corner depending on the source if you wanted to go fully brand-new. If you need installation help let us know and we can get you to the right people!

OP
OP
Doug Mikra

Doug Mikra

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Just an update on our end - Thanks to everyone for the positive support! We've gotten a lot of interest on the kit but quite a few customers wanted an option where they could buy a complete setup without having to perform the retrofit themselves.

With that said, for a limited time we're going to start offering a BRAND NEW set of front Gen 2 struts with our kit installed for just $1499 plus shipping + handling. This would be a brand new set of struts (not take-offs) and then retrofitted with our components.

At these prices we feel we're competitive with any reputable rebuild shop and offering a substantially superior product. Depending on usage, our 3.0 retrofit kit may very well be the last shock you need to buy for your Gen 1.

If anyone is interested, send me a PM to get your built slot lined up ASAP. We're man-power limited so it will be on a first come, first serve basis.
Thanks!

Doug